Seatpost diameter for 1995 Orange P7

An update for those who might be interested.
I bought a new 27.2 dia x 400mm long seatpost as I discovered I needed the extra length to fit the bike properly, and a 27.2 to 29.4 shim to make it fit. However even with the seat bolt cranked up to the max, the post still slips so I'm going to order a 27.2 to 31.4 shim from CRC to see what that does.
Thinking about it, does this make sense?

You're right, I looked at my earlier post. It's been a long week at work!
I'm gonna get a USE thermoplastic shim 27.2 to 29.8

Ok I went down this route on my '95 P7 two months ago. I got a 27.2 to 29.8 shim. My seat tube was slightly oval like yours but the shim is thin enough to enable you to manipulate it into the seat tube. I got a brand x item from chain reaction in aluminium. Fit was a little tight at first around the top of the tube but once inside it was a good fit.

Top tip is to apply a thin layer of grease on the outside of the shim so it makes it easier to remove in the future.

As for your post slipping I have found an excellent double clamp that clamps on the seat tube and post. Take a look at the exotic carbon website (just google the name) and look at the 31.8 to 27.2 seat clamp. It's a bit of a fiddle to fit but has totally eliminated post slip for me.

Happy to help - wako

CRC have just delivered my 27.2 to 29.8 USE thermoplastic shim, just put it quickly and all looks favorable. Test ride this weekend hopefully.........

Back