Scottish version of L'Eroica - now The Bravo Scozia Ride

I have the old Claud Butler I could put some singlespeed wheels on or I was thinking about getting my old nickel plated 79 Mongoose Motomag :cool: out of the loft.
Probably fits in with the date cut offs but might not be seen to be in the spirit of the event :(
It would be an epic ride on 20 inch wheels singlespeed ;)
I understand the idea behind it and appreciate the effort thats going into it but I think that if its a tweed type run then the bikes should be period. It seems you can ride machines up to the eighties but not in period type gear for the year of the bike. I appreciate machine cut off dates are flexible to get it off the ground but what its aiming to be is a bit confusing.
Will most likely take part as hey, its a ride through some beautiful country past my old home in Garve, and will most likely have a machine thats appropriate and it should be a good social weekend. The price is quite reasonable these days especially for whats provided.
Just some thoughts

Jamie

I do like the idea but I think this Tweed thing is a bit daft. Pictures of Tweed clad individuals from Tweed Meets i've seen, well just look stupid. people seem to be trying to look Edwardian or between wars at latest but most are riding bikes from the 50's onwards. Practically no one was clad in tweed outfits for cycling from the 50's onwards.
Period costume reflecting the age of your bike would seem most sensible.
Plus setting 87 as a cutoff date is also strange. Loads of bikes that do not employ lugged steel frames or even steel lie withing this time.
I'm not committing to this ride untill I know my employment status as my current contract runs out in April and no word if new contracts has been heard. Further i need more detail on the ride which I'm sure will be forth coming, it does seem a confused idea to me at the moment.

Does L'Eroica and The Retro Ronde allow mtb's though :?
I think allowing mtb's is possibly going to spoil what I think is trying to be achieved. It'll be a free for all if they're allowed because where do you draw the line, tig welded BMX's of all styles predate mtb's etc and period costume if tweeds and tartan do not fit this style of bike.
The organiser does need to specify a type and style of bike and be strict about it otherwise its just a cycle run like any other.

Completely agree with you there, plus I don't think the initial ride has a "turn away policy".

However if the period road bike riders stay away, the MTB's will dominate and that would spoil what could be a fantastic event.

My bike is a 1950 road bike and I plan to wear period wool racing clothing. Tweed and Tartan are not my thing at all, but I don't think tweed and tartan is mandatory either.

velomaniac":1czc4p0u said:
I do like the idea but I think this Tweed thing is a bit daft.

that's the bit that's putting me off, why would I buy tweeds (which I don't want in the first place) that I'm never going to use again. I'd be using my pre 87 bike, an 86 which is going to look a bit bizarre with tweeds astride.

saw at least 5 MTB's at the I' Eroica, however at the I'Erocia despite what's said they judge you on how woolly your jersey is, and ignore the 90s and more modern bikes, the mtb's, the aero levers, the clipless pedals of which there was loads (fortunately there were even more vintage beauties)

all that aside, should be a great ride for those participating

I think Velo pretty much hit it on the head a couple of pages back:

As for style, the tweed and tartan things a bit far, BITD of the bikes mentioned many a working class fellow got out on his bike who couldn't afford Tweed. Battered wool/cotton combo, flat cap and tackety boots for this miners descendant.

My Puch is an early '70s gas-pipe special, a working mans commuter. If I do this ride, that's how I'll dress - there'll be a piece box and an old tartan flask somewhere in there an aw :)

Oh! :shock:

I'm doing the pre ride portraits, we'll have to make sure your down tube is covered by ……..er…….your seat tube.

Back