L'eroica - advice needed on suitable bike and facial hair

I am suposed to be going,flying out from Bristol to Pisa.Haven't looked for accomodation yet as I don't fancy the sporst hall option.It will be std lycra shorts for me with a Brooks top topped with a trusty and stylish Velocake hat.I've a pair of Addidas shoes that are period for the bike i'll take but they are a size to small.Can I do 200km in them.jm.

I'd suggest a massive set of boards. Just like deVlamick.

The wool jerseys would be good, perhaps you can look into it Ed?

I'd take a woolie, considered these for a MacRetro jersey once.

Very jealous about the l'eroica trip :mrgreen: you seem to be ticking things on my bucket list.

Hair-wise I'd go for massive natural sideburns and a droopy moustache in a contrasting colour. I can send you the contents of my bath plug if you like?
True you could sport non-spandex shorts but I'd wear a set of decent nonbibs under any woolen shorts. And with your thighs they'll just think you gone a bit keen on the ol' Pot Belge.
Please wear a hemet. 42x26 bottom gear and a cotton cap will make you keel over.

Lycra was definitely about in the early 80s - I distinctly remember my first pair of Santinis about 1984 which matches the age of my bike. I've tracked down a pair of wooly shorts with real chamois of the era, but somehow can't get myself to commit. Tyre-wise I can just squeeze a pair of 32mm file tread cross tubs onto my bike - they're a natural off-white colour and look pretty retro. A spare wrapped around the shoulders should complete the look!

JM re accommodation - PM me if interested in sharing arrangements - we're staying in Siena

Good stuff chaps, kit is getting assembled:

- Bike - 1984 Raleigh Panasonic (as pictured but obviously with traditional pedals and toeclips and with kinder gearing; I think it has 12-18 at present :shock: )

- Jersey - the woolen one below, wrong era but good enough. I plan to address the sagging pockets issue with a small canvas saddlebag, just enough for a spare inner tube and tools

- Shorts - with an 84 bike I think I can go with lycra shorts, especially as just the thought of the potential chafing from damp wool on the inner thigh is giving me hives.

- Shoes - certainly traditional ones, possibly the ones pictured or some Sidis

- Socks - you can tell a cyclist by his socks. I'm thinking very short and very white.

Headgear - a cotton cap, actual one still to be determined.

Facial hair - will have to be glue on as suspect that my body produces too much estrogen to be able to grow anything worthwhile at only two months notice. That said, stick on facial hair sounds amusing now but who will be laughing half way in? Not me I suspect.

Attachments

• Shoes.JPG
    Shoes.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,656
  • Jersey.JPG
    Jersey.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,656
  • Ride.JPG
    Ride.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 1,656
Bloody hell, I wish I hadn't read that post. I hadn't even heard of l'eroica yesterday but now my head's full of mental images of my bombing through gorgeous italian scenery on me Claud, swigging hald a carafe of Chianti at each rest stop, and questions about how to get the requisite side parting.

That kit looks fine. For anyone else after retro jerseys and shorts (and lucky enough to be in the North West) the vintage stores on and around Oldham Road have a good selection. I have already been pushed towards buying particualr bikes just because there happened to be a matching jersey in Ryan's thrift store...

Just swapped my wheels and tyres to something a bit more suitable - Ambrosio rims and a pair of Vittoria file tread 'cross tubs. Only thing that probably needs changing is the freewheel - 13-21 might be a bit painful!

Or5WX.jpg

Back