Scottish independence, closer now?

highlandsflyer":1e2m6oqi said:
I tend to agree. When the singer and lead guitarist leave a band it is often the beginning of the end. I see no reason we cannot forge ahead with other, more attractive, arrangements with our neighbours.

As for Scottish independence, the vote can now be won.
This bit I disagree on, obviously.

Currency question? Still unanswered.
EU status? Still unanswered.
Spain? Negative.
EU situation? Worse.
Oil price? Worse.
Brexit negotiations? Ongoing.
Populace? Tired of campaigns. Tired of votes.

Good luck with that.

Re:

this was on FB..

When Nicola met Jean-Claude:

Jean- Hello Nicola how can i help you?
Nicola- I want you to let us into the EU.
Jean- You are already in the EU and your country just vote to leave??
Nicola- Ah yes but Scotland didn't and therefore it was undemocratic
Jean- But your country (the UK) has?
Nicola- Ah but we are Scotland and thats whats important now and ultimately democratic.
Jean- What? more demotractic than the national referendum 2 years ago that decided to stay within the UK?
Nicola- uh, yes.
Jean- I see so when are you going to have another referendum?
Nicola- Uhh, not sure.
Jean- so what can i do for you?
Nicola- well i want is a guarantee that as a new country the EU will do what it has refused to do to another country requesting entry into the EU.
Jean- whats that?
Nicola- well Jean we want no strings attached entry into the EU as a new country.
Jean- but you are not a new country
Nicola- I KNOW but when we are?
Jean- I see. Sure, you will be a welcome member to the single currency.
Nicola- Uhh, Jean we don't want the Euro, we will keep the pound thanks.
Jean- WHAT? so let me get this clear. Your current country/union has voted democratically to leave the EU, but you want your country to remain with us although your country also wants to remain in the UK. And despite wanting to leave the UK and re join the EU you want to keep the pound.
Nicola- Uh yes
Jean- Is the rest of the UK alright with that?
Nicola- Uh, i haven't asked them yet.
Jean- Ok get back to me on that one!! Sorry i need to go, the Spanish government whats to urgently speak to me about something.

technodup":33jmjm69 said:
Much, much further away.

She's lost two referendums in two years. She's got no balls for another as she can't guarantee winning it. Plus the Scotland/EU situation is very murky and time consuming, and Brexit will be taking centre stage for some years to come.

Further to that, if Holland or France or anyone else agitate for their own vote, why the f**k would Scotland want to join a clearly sinking ship?

Got to take into account that these parties are right to extreme right of middle. They cant accept immigration is needed for a country to develop, whereas they would cut off their nose to suit their face :?

Been a couple of weeks. Im for waiting to see what happens.
Besides its Chilcot now so nobody is going to have much to say about brexit for the coming months

Another bellend for the ignore list :LOL: :LOL:

Must be everyone by now :roll:

Re:

Have they thought about the thousands of jobs lost when we take the Naval Dockyards away,and the Nuclear Subs ?

Re:

There is no point anyone falling out over a lot of variables that may never amount to anything.

Ironically, it may be a case of nothing really changing before the EU itself falls apart.

As far as that daft Facebook schtick; Scotland has always been its own country! The UK is exactly what it says on the tin, a union. Maybe some people across the Atlantic don't understand that; but you would expect most British people to be aware of it..

Re: Re:

highlandsflyer":f8pcntlv said:
There is no point anyone falling out over a lot of variables that may never amount to anything.

Ironically, it may be a case of nothing really changing before the EU itself falls apart.

As far as that daft Facebook schtick; Scotland has always been its own country! The UK is exactly what it says on the tin, a union. Maybe some people across the Atlantic don't understand that; but you would expect most British people to be aware of it..

Yes its a union. But a union made before the people of Scotland had a voice to decide for themselves :)
The equivalent now would be the SNP taking Scotland to independence without the approval of even so much as single voting Scot.
Can we accept that this union at the time, was purely for the benefit of the rich landowners, rather than the people.

So why should that criteria hold true 250 years later ?.

Re:

For a new country to join the EU, all member states must agree. Spain will never agree, as it will give credence and hope to the separatists in their country.

Back