Schwinn Rocket 88 frame

Hi
Just bought one of these frames with Rock Shox forks on a whim...
Glad you said they are good to ride, as I'm looking to build to sell not keep - it keeps me off the streets!

I remember these bikes when they came out, and very nearly bought one new. For a while Schwinn was a real hotbed of innovation in rear suspension design. The Straight 8 and the 4 Banger / Straight 6 are key examples here, but the Rocket 88 was particularly clever. When I tested one out I had my Four Banger and Marin Rift Zone to compare them too, and it compared very very well indeed. Less bob than the Marin, and probably as good as the four banger in most respects.

The rear end is a very good design, certainly far better than many manufactureres were making at the time (and even now), but I think the concept died an early death for two reasons.

1/ The vogue for long travel bikes was just beginning. People were offering up to 6" travel on what were essentially XC bikes at the time, and they were selling in preference to the paltry 3.5 inches on the Rocket.

2/ The design wasn't "obviously" a full suspension design. To the casual observer that rear triangle looks rather like a hard tail. Where it exceeds in technical competence and rigidity, it fails in terms of bling.

Still, overall, much like the other Schwinn designs of the period, I'd say it's a brilliant chassis, and easily the equal of most modern offerings.

£110 is a bloody bargain. Have a free bump on me. (Although, seeing as the OP last posted exactly 12 months ago, its likely to have been sold by now)

Back