SB9443 Team Owned Raleigh 753 Dyna-Tech Castorama

Re: Team Owned Raleigh 753 Dyna-Tech Castorama (almost done)

hey Richie takes a bigman to admit to being wrong or rather right it this case lol :)

would love to get a few of these castorama bikes out together we should make it happen !!!

Maca":1znvosul said:
hey Richie takes a bigman to admit to being wrong or rather right it this case lol :)

would love to get a few of these castorama bikes out together we should make it happen !!!

I'd be up for this chaps...just say where and when!

Great build, a very special bike.

Martin.

Re:

You must be local to me Maca.
A friend has sent me a Facebook post from On 2 Wheels, showing Jean-Claude Bagot's bike in their shop.
I rode through Bourne End today on my way to Henley for coffee, I am in Gerrards Cross.
As ever I was in a Super U jersey, on my winter bike, 1990 Castorama frame in 653 by Cyfac.
Richie

Been busy with a few things over Christmas but have almost got the bike finished.

My freshly re-hard anodised rims have been built up on the C Record hubs along with new decals. courtesy of Richard at "On2Wheels" in Bourne End.
Quick pic of the rear wheel being dished to the frame:

I also managed to lay my hands on one of the finishing touches that I wanted which was the Ciclomaster fork mounted computer. I ended up having to buy two. An early one to get the actual fork mount and a later one to get the right computer. What I didn't know at the time (until I got the instructions with the later one) was that they actually did two computers one for handle bars and one specific for the forks. The difference being the internal magnet pick up. So I had to do a bit of custom work and install the pick up myself. All works now :)

Had some hassle with the rear wheel, the hub I had was 126mm and the frame was 130mm. We tried adding spacers but it just wasn't right and I wasn't happy with the amount of axle this left in the drop outs. So I bought a used 130mm rear hub. Turns out the hub is exactly the same and its just the axle length and fittings that are different so we swapped out the rear axle and that sorted that. Perfect fit and alignment.

Picked up a Regina chain and after a bit of mucking about and some advise from Penfold6290 (had to straighten the rear mech hanger) I got the gears set up.

Set the Deltas up also and have to say they are far smoother, operate far better and are far easier to set up that people would have you think ..... at least that's what I found.

Just waiting for my stickers to arrive for the number plate I've made and then I will get some pictures up of the finished bike.

Re:

Looking mighty fine indeed Maca.
So fine that I think I can't ride with you on my unrestored bikes - for once I wouldn't be the one receiving the compliments!

The wheel decals are great, you had them made I think?
I have a pair of the later blue decalled rims that need refinishing, can you let me know where you got them?
Richie

Thanks guys (y)

Richie, yes I had the wheel decals made. They were done by a guy called del at Delcalsigns del@delcalsigns.co.uk he can pretty much do anything if you can get the old ones off for him to scan. Some stuff he can do from high res images and or measurements.

Speaking of Del the number plate stickers arrived yesterday so I wasted no time in putting them on. Really chuffed with this.

So here it is .......... finished.

Frame: Raleigh Dynatech 753 owned by Jean-Claude Bagot
Team number JCB.B2.90
SB number SB9443

Rear Mech: C-Record Gen 2
Front Mech: C-Record Braze on (8mm bolt)
Chainset: C-Record
BB: C-Record
Gear Levers: Syncro II 7 speed
Brake Levers: Delta-Power-Grade
Cables: Campagnolo Pearl White
Callipers: Deltas 4th Generation
Headset: Chorus
Seat Post: C-Record
Hubs: C-Record

Rims: Wolber TX Profile
Free Wheel: Regina AMERICA
Chain: Regina Super
Tyres: Hi-Lite SuperComp HD 700 x 18c

Saddle: Turbo
Stem: ITM
Bars: ITM Super Racing

Bottles: TA TDF Coca Cola
Cages: TA

Think that's about it Spec wise, the frame was in quite a sorry state when I got it with paint missing and most decals gone. So had it taken back to bare metal and repainted by MrCreations. Decals were remade for me by Delcalsigns.
We believe the frame to have been made for and used by Jean-Claude Bagot however the only pictures I could find of the 753 dynatech frame being used were of Fignon so I build the bike to that spec (as best as I could) but put Jean's name and number on it.
I wasn't able to find any nos rim so I bought some used ones, had them striped polished them up and then had them re-hard anodised by a firm called Acorn Plating. Then Delcalsigns re did the stickers for me.
Again with the tyres I know they rode 23c but couldn't find any so 18c had to do.
I made the number plate my self and again Del did the stickers.
Also aware that they used Time pedals but I have always used and preferred look, and the cleats are a dam site easier to find ...... and I will be riding this.

Really pleased to say the least on how this has turned out and can't wait to get out and have a go.

Any way in no particular order here's the pics, hope you like and any feed back welcome.

Re: Team Owned Raleigh 753 Dyna-Tech Castorama (Finished P7)

Been following this thread over the last few months, good to see it finished, great restoration with really impressive attention to detail.

Re: Very poor cycliste

I think you should donate the bike to me, you see I am very, very poor, I could never afford such a nice machine.
Let me know if you are in agreement and I will send you my place of abode. Must warn you though I might be hard to find as I relocate my cardboard box from bridge to bridge depending on the company,

In anticipation, yours sincerely Mike The Bike, (well hopefully)

Back