Saracen Kili Racer

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I was sat at Mountain Mayhem admiring Retro Spud's e-stay, the Yeti Ulitmate that is (not the comedy Kirk) and thought to myself 'I need and e-stay'. So with limited funds I set about looking for a suitable steed, I considered the Carrera Katalyst or even the snazzier Carrera e-stay (the name escapes me) but was put off by the poor reviews. An Alpinestars would be nice - I very briefly owned a Cro-Mega but it was way too small and I only rode it around the block and sold it on - flipped it for a profit to be precise.

So, I set up an eBay search for bikes <£35 in a 25 mile radius - fuel cost adds up you know! First I bagged a Puch Theridion, which is too small and the wheels are scrap, but it has some good LX kit for a donor. Then about 3 weeks later a Saracen Kili Racer pops up in Southall for a £25 start price. I confirmed with the seller that the seat post wasn't stuck and then waited a week for the auction to end. I stuck in a throwaway bid in the last few seconds and bagged it for a reasonable sum.

Here its. Very little wear to anything, weirdly the axles have been swapped to nutted, but they're Ritchey rims on LX hubs so they'll stay. I don't think the shifters are original and the saddle certainly isn't! :shock: Next is a strip-down, clean and re-build with a few parts swaps. I've never actually ridden a Saracen I like, so it'll be interesting to see how this rides.

SP

Attachments

• Kili_Top.jpg
    Kili_Top.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 1,255
  • Kili_racer.jpg
    Kili_racer.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,254
  • Kili_NDS.jpg
    Kili_NDS.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 1,254
  • Kili_DS.jpg
    Kili_DS.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 1,254
Re:

More:

Attachments

• Kili_front.jpg
    Kili_front.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 1,251
  • Kili_drive.jpg
    Kili_drive.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 1,251
  • Pooch_1.jpg
    Pooch_1.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 1,246
Re: estay itch...

Good to see that Saracen on here - I am quite taken with the idea of one myself and was watching this with interest.

It looks to be in good nick - a bit of a bargain I would say especially looking at similar items on ebay.

Interestd to hear how you get on with it

Re:

Look forward to seeing what you think of this.

Since Mayhem, I've been thinking towards something ti, or a Pace. :facepalm:

That's not a gate, this is a gate (crocodile Dundee style)

529f27b8de7ccc1f38f37d48de63848b_zps9a979077.jpg

Splatter Paint":3aa9fwjl said:
I was sat at Mountain Mayhem admiring Retro Spud's e-stay, the Yeti Ultimate that is (not the comedy Kirk) and thought to myself 'I need and e-stay'.

Comedy Kirk :shock: I'm cut in two by that comment

I'll concede the ride is ummm..... Unique

personally I think you were in awe of its strange qualities and its innate ability to have rear wheel (flex) steering

Attachments

• Splatter afterwards 2.jpg
    Splatter afterwards 2.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 1,155
  • Splatter before having a go2.jpg
    Splatter before having a go2.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 1,155
Re:

Rub it in why dont you :facepalm: haha. Just kidding. An identical kili near me went over £60 and that was needing work. Got sniped last second :(

Re:

Nice...

I do like those Puch's, would you mind telling me what seatpost size they are please?

I have a plan, if I find one.

al.

Re:

It has a 25.8mm fitted.

I'll be selling this Puch, if you want it? It is an 18". I will swap the chainset out for the one Kili and possibly the rear mech too which are also LX. £25 plus postage? It doesn't have any wheels, tyres or cassette. Postage will be about £13 with SenditNow.

One of the top frame rails is slightly kinked and the stem feels a bit wobbly so it definitely needs an overhaul before use.

SP

Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":yw17w15x said:
It has a 25.8mm fitted.

I'll be selling this Puch, if you want it? It is an 18". I will swap the chainset out for the one Kili and possibly the rear mech too which are also LX. £25 plus postage? It doesn't have any wheels, tyres or cassette. Postage will be about £13 with SenditNow.

One of the top frame rails is slightly kinked and the stem feels a bit wobbly so it definitely needs an overhaul before use.

SP

I need a project frame with 27.2 or larger.

Cheers.

al. :D

Back