Saracen Kili 97

I had one of these for a while in red.

Really deep tough red powdercoat again with no decals :?

Your finish looks even thicker than mine was as its difficult to make out the Ritchey stamps - possible refinish?

They ride really well.

Nice to see it with an original set of forks - they are a bit like gold dust now.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Edit >> Interestingly (or not ;) ) yours seems to have more "meat" around the wishbone than mine did - seems a strange variation ..... unless my eyes deceive me :LOL:

P1010056.jpg

The original owner said he removed decals due to them being worn.. Suggests Saracen didn't lacquer over them maybe.

I think you may be right about the wishbone, however, it can be hard to tell from pics. Although I do remember reading somewhere that a midland based team used the first batch of these frames in 97 and reported a couple of problems with the wishbone. There were a couple of failures and this prompted Saracen to slightly revise the design. How true this is I don't know:?

I do know these frames were made 97,98 and I think 99 so can't be sure my one is a 97.

The forks I love and yes they do seem rare. I have another set on my 96 kili comp. These ones are nicer cos they have the saracen "s" stamped on top of the legs

edit to add: I don't think it is a refinish because i was advised it was not due to the fact the guy i got it off removed the original decals.. I can also see the remnants of the "maxdrive" decal on the fork leg. Don't get me wrong this is not definite evidence so i am on with finding out it's original origins.

Intresting what you say there Dendy(Midlands-wishbone-repairs), non of the original strut forks i've seen have the S stamped into the top and i've never seen the wishbone finished just so. With Saracen anything is possible but the colour is also different to all other variants (bizarrely the orange colour closest to your lot does seem to arrive with a metallic lacquered finish-all other colours don't), my money would be on a respray and a fork of the correct type retro fitted (by Saracen?).

Have you tanned it yet? with a titanium railed saddle it will feel like a magic carpet.

konatime":3ah55ajx said:
Intresting what you say there Dendy(Midlands-wishbone-repairs), non of the original strut forks i've seen have the S stamped into the top and i've never seen the wishbone finished just so. With Saracen anything is possible but the colour is also different to all other variants, my money would be on a respray and a fork of the correct type retro fitted (by Saracen?).

Have you tanned it yet? with a titanium railed saddle it will feel like a magic carpet.

95/96 forks had the stamp. I can't say all cos anything is possible with Saracen. Also the fork geometry is slightly different.

96 forks
front-side.jpg

On the original colour - The bikes has the original wheelset and seat clamp. In 97> Saracen used colour matched ano aluminium nipples for the wheel builds in some cases.. The nipples are orange and clamp bolts too :? All this may be nothing cos there was no real rule book as far as I can see.

As far as the ride goes.. It deffo feels more flexy in the rear compared to my 96 kili and yes it shifts, however it is 2lb heavier than my 96 and feels it. This will change though.

dendy":181f2x71 said:
konatime":181f2x71 said:
Intresting what you say there Dendy(Midlands-wishbone-repairs), non of the original strut forks i've seen have the S stamped into the top and i've never seen the wishbone finished just so. With Saracen anything is possible but the colour is also different to all other variants, my money would be on a respray and a fork of the correct type retro fitted (by Saracen?).

95/96 forks had the stamp. I can't say all cos anything is possible with Saracen. Also the fork geometry is slightly different.

96 forks
front-side.jpg

Yeah i was aware the fork you have depicted with the S stamped into the top was real close chronologically but not aware it had ever been used on a Kili Team Competition.

Is that frame Prestige?

My 96 frame is prestige concept.. The orange one i have no idea. They usually are 853 but I wouldn't be surprised if some were made out of tange.

dendy":q0hjf4au said:
It is quite obvious to me that there was a revision regarding the wishbone as can be seen in the brochure page:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=136663

This green kili comp is either a 98 or 99 going by the kit and it is as plain as day that the wishbone is beefier looking.

Good spot Dendy, never noticed that before, bizarre carry-on with Saracen...had a nos variant in a box from '99 and that was devoid of the revision/alteration. Please do shout up if you stumble across the S stamped fork tagged with Kili Team frame.

Back