Salsa El Mariachi 29er plus build

After 1 year of accumulating the final parts needed, the first build is done!

A quick ride around 'Parque Real' confirms it rolls over obstacles as well as you'd expect, and it allowed me to clear for the first time a 6-inch step on a steep and loose climb through the woods.

I have put a 2.35 Maxxis Ikon on the rear, and a 3.0 Maxxis Chronicle on the front (30.5" outside diameter). Clearance is tight in both cases, but there is just enough space between the tyre and frame.

20180802_191100-1.jpg

So I finally had some less hot weather that let me head out properly hydrated and able to put in some 100% efforts on my "benchmark" trails, and the results are pretty much what everyone else has ever said about 29ers. My trails are quite rocky, and I found myself climbing around 15% faster on this bike than on my 26x2.35 Dynatech.

What was interesting is I seemed to be 5% quicker uphill than when I tested a "much better" (worth 2K) carbon hardtail with faster rolling tyres. Maybe I just had a good day, but the 5% improvement was consistent across 3 separate climbs, and I think I could feel the 29+ front wheel rolling over obstacles a lot easier on the climbs. I suspect on smoother climbs, this difference would disappear or even reverse.

Going downhill at speed, it's amazing how much confidence the 29+ front wheel provides, crashing over any obstacle. I was surprised to find that having a fast-rolling normal 29 tyre on the rear didn't lead to any weird handling issues, and the rear wheel just followed wherever the front wheel directed the bike.

But most importantly, this bike is really fun to ride, mainly on flat or downhill sections (uphill it feels sluggish, despite being faster).

ultrazenith":1lqlfu7z said:
But most importantly, this bike is really fun to ride, mainly on flat or downhill sections (uphill it feels sluggish, despite being faster).

Most importantly its a lovely looking thing- want!

Back