S-Works M2 Team - 1995 Build

walleater

Retro Guru
Hi de Hi Campers!

I had one of the first M2 Team Ed frames BITD:

p5pb12381032.jpg

It was my last race bike and other than the paint falling off it and it breaking, it was great! I've just been given a '95 S-Works version so I'm going to build myself another one. The frame was a bit rough with a lot of paint thrown on it(!), but much scrubbing with my wife's nail varnish remover and it's now looking pretty good:

p5pb12377354.jpg

p5pb12381038.jpg

It's possibly crying out for being turned into a JMC replica, but I don't think I could do it justice. I won't even be doing a Walleater replica! Just a mix of old school parts from back when I used to race. I had a Manitou 1 on the original one, and I have one now (with a Man2 crown though....) so that'll probably be the first thing to go on. As for everything else, I'll see what shows up!

Re:

Great frames :D i one of those " first 500 " too , and mine cracked as well
:facepalm:
looking forward to seeing how this one turns out .

Paul

Ummmm.....this has had to take a temporary change in direction. :facepalm:

My 'modern' fillet brazed 650B hardtail is now going to be stuck at the local frame painters for a while, and as my local trails are on the infamous North Shore of North Vancouver, a 130mm Ti stem with a reputation for breaking, and a Manitou 1 aren't really going to cut it! Hence, I'm having to a more contemporary build with what I have lying around the apartment. I still need to find some derailleurs and a rear tyre. Facepalm aside, it'll probably be good fun to ride when done!

1545965_10152720527357810_6523499098029906569_n.jpg

10152439_10152720527707810_4619839533366270010_n.jpg

In the mean time I'll keep half an eye out for suitable parts and revert back to 'Plan A' once my frame is back from the painters.

The M2s are great! I have 2. A 1992 S-Works in electric purple and a 1996 For Racing only Team.

Everyone should have at least one m2 as a rider.

Got 1x8 or 1x9.

Enjoy :)

Re:

Good work with the nail varnish remover, I'll try to remember that tip. Although I probably won't :facepalm:
Looks like someone had painted a bottle cage on the bike :roll: :shock:

Mike

Well, the 'Plan B' build is complete for now!

p5pb12381088.jpg

p5pb12381086.jpg

It weighs in at 25.5lb which is lighter than I thought it would end up, and the head angle is probably 5 degrees steeper than my modern hardtail, so I'd better treat this with a bit of respect but I'm looking forward to taking it out for a rip! Depending on how it rides, I'll continue with the bike in this style, but look for some nicer parts in the future, or go back to Plan A, put the Manitou 1s on it and hang it on the wall :roll:

Seems like Facebook and Retrobike don't work too well together as photos disappear after a while :( I've tried to use the RB attachment thingy but the attachments are too big.....First World technical problems. Looks like I'm using Pinkbike then:

Short version:

Here is how the frame looked when I was given it:

p5pb12377354.jpg

It's been work in progress and had to double as my only MTB briefly while my modern bike was being re-sprayed. Long term plan was to use some Manitou 1 forks with it, but playing around with the build today the fork would lose around 5mm of travel every time I compressed it! Mag 21 to the rescue.

p5pb12377358.jpg

p5pb12377357.jpg

p5pb12377355.jpg

It is great bike!
One I wish I have ;)

Can you fix those pictures from first few posts; they do not load anymore?

Back