Rusty spokes?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I'm at the last hurdle in a bike build/refurb for a friend. The basis of this is a Marin bolinas ridge, but I'm upgrading as much as I can to give him a decent bike. I can't stretch to a new wheelset so have just stripped and serviced the ones it came with. Bearings will do after a clean and regrease, rims came up ok after a bout of degreaser and soap.

However what I thought was cast off rust from the very rusty dangling chain does appear to actually be rust on the spokes. While the wheels aren't high end, they are built with stainless spokes which I've never seen go rusty.

Is 5his unusual or not? It's only a small number of spokes but even so, strange and a new one on me.

More work for me I guess removing the rust, light sanding and a polish.

Grrrr

Thanks. A light sanding seems to be doing the job. I have loads of spare spokes so may resort to replacing any that are too far gone but so far they are coming up presentable and a bit less work than replacing.

The lower grade stainless steels can corrode in less favourable environments, such as extensive riding on heavily salted roads.

To make stainless steel that will remain completely rust-free in salty environments requires higher additions of chromium and nickel, and that bumps up the cost quite a lot.

If you're absolutely certain that they are stainless spokes then you could use some wet and dry, and finish with some metal polish.

They are stainless spokes, sanding and polishing is making them look much better.

I lived in Portugal for 9 months, in Sines, beatifull place next to the Atlantic and I rode my Brompton there ... the spokes catch some rust.:mad: I have never have that problem before. So I cleaned and put some fork oil and until today because my City is rust proof, we don´t have problems with that.

So perhaps some oil or grease or paint (black for example) and will look good again. That is the cheapest way.

Some elbow grease, light paper and abrasive lads later and the spokes look almost new. I can't actually believe I went through the trouble but hopefully my mate will be appreciative of his new steed with many shiny new and old parts.

Latest posts

Back