Rust spotted nickel plated P7

I've just picked up a '94 DB axis that is slightly rusted up to say the least. If I use Autosol and wire wool will that work to get the rust off? I dont mind removing the nickel plating either as long as I can get it rust free and shiny.

Jitensha

You won't remove the Nickel plate, it is a robust finish. In fact, Nickel doesn't rust, what happens is pin prick holes appear (where stones etc have chipped the nickel), exposing the steel below - the rust then "grows" out of these small holes.

The autosol/wire wool method can give you a near mirror finish, if you put enough effort in, but beware if there is a lacquer coating, as that will need paint stripper before polishing can be effective.

Once done, over time, the finish will dull and require buffing up again... unless you go to the hassle of relacquering... which isn't an easy process..

You saved up enough to buy my FRM Plexus yet? :)

ringo":1ga1nko3 said:
Jitensha

You won't remove the Nickel plate, it is a robust finish. In fact, Nickel doesn't rust, what happens is pin prick holes appear (where stones etc have chipped the nickel), exposing the steel below - the rust then "grows" out of these small holes.

The autosol/wire wool method can give you a near mirror finish, if you put enough effort in, but beware if there is a lacquer coating, as that will need paint stripper before polishing can be effective.

Once done, over time, the finish will dull and require buffing up again... unless you go to the hassle of relacquering... which isn't an easy process..

You saved up enough to buy my FRM Plexus yet? :)

HEY! I thought that got snaffled by somone with a whippet avatar?? I'd have had it! Instead I went and bought an Orange Vit T2 instead :eek:

There is laquer on top but it's peeling off. Good to know that it's salvagable thanks :) (Gutted about the Plexus though)

No, I bought it from the man with the whippet Avatar - and in truth it's a little small for me...

Well, here's the frame. I'm gonna make a start today and see what occurs. After a quick degrease I'll paint strip then attack it with the autosol and steel wool. As usual Ive done a great job at getting the background in sharp focus.

Attachments

• Photo0081.jpg
    Photo0081.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 121
  • Photo0080.jpg
    Photo0080.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 121
Back