Rudge Ulster Sports bicycle, how old and what to do with it?

I bought the five speed hub for a couple of quid a few weeks ago, if I remember the hub date is around 1990, it did not come with a sprocket or any of the other parts. Failing that I have a spare dynohub from 1967 as well as a spare 3 speed shifter. Lacing wheels has never been my strongpoint so while it may be less skillful I have seen ready built sets of wheels on ebay, some with a new three speed hub. Thanks for the advice everyone and for shedding some light on this bike :)

no thank you mikeyb for sharing it.i dont think i will ever forget that crank.'The red hand' of northern ireland lives on man ! ....i always did like
the undertones and the cranberries. :cool:
yeah i really want to learn wheel building too could be a good £60 saving.

If it's a Sturmey Archer 5 star, I literally would not spend the price of the spokes on it. A terrible, terrible hub.

The newer 5 speeds are OK though, as is your 3 speed.

And do the wheelbuilding. It is not hard, so long as you build your first wheel with new bits. People think wheelbuilding is tricky because they start out with worn out bits that aren't quite the right shape anymore.

Dan Rudge started the company in Wolverhampton in the late 1800s then moving production to Coventry not Birmingham as I said earlier. The Ulster connection comes from 1929 Ulster motorcycle grand prix which was won by Graham Walker father of F1 commentator Murray Walker after this victory Rudge used the red hand symbol on its products and advertising. In 1938 Rudge sponsored a record attempt for the most miles covered in 365 days Billie Fleming pedaled her 3 speed sport for a amazing 29,603 miles a record which still stands today. Billie passed away earlier this year aged 100

thanks supercourse,there is plenty there on google. last time i googled just the 'sportsman' model and thats
all it gave me. :|

chris667":saux9rll said:
If it's a Sturmey Archer 5 star, I literally would not spend the price of the spokes on it. A terrible, terrible hub.

The newer 5 speeds are OK though, as is your 3 speed.

And do the wheelbuilding. It is not hard, so long as you build your first wheel with new bits. People think wheelbuilding is tricky because they start out with worn out bits that aren't quite the right shape anymore.
thanks chris,i didnt even know SA did a 5 speed hub!
as for the worn out wrong shape.....i try not to look in the mirror too much lately :)

As a distant relative of Dan Rudge I'm interested in the history of the company and its products and in a ideal world would like to own both a Rudge motorbike and a genuine (not a rebadged Raleigh) Rudge bike one day

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back