Romax Rescue #279 (Build Spec p. 5)

Ryry_1985

BoTM Winner
Brodie Fan
Majorly excited to have gotten my frameset back from Paul Brodie and thought I'd begin a thread on it.

The backstory with this Romax begins with it being built in Jan. ‘88 and that the frame and fork was won as a third place prize at a race in Canmore, AB. Pretty sweet for placing third! It came painted in primer grey and it was eventually spray painted gold and was re-decal’d (as the wrong model), and then was somewhat neglected for a number of years. That's not to say completely neglected though, as its owner cared enough to repaint it and decal it at one point, and more importantly, keep it after all those years. While it was obviously an exciting find, it came with a fairly significant list of issues, including a seized bb, unbelievably seized ICR housing and most notably, rust pinholes in the chainstay, a completely rusted out chainstay bridge and a crack on the underside of the chainstay at the drive side dropout. Luckily for me, Paul Brodie rescued this frame and its journey was well documented on his YouTube channel. In addition to brazing a few pinholes, replacing the bridge, and repairing the crack with an interesting shim technique, he also modified my fork from canti to U-Brake.

Here are some as-found teaser images and links to Paul’s videos. It’s more or less ready to build, so plenty more to come.

3B58EB6C-58FC-4F59-8FFB-55498BF1050C.jpeg CCB1C99E-F3BC-43CB-A26F-B7641D61C034.jpeg 8A3B7C39-D7B4-4498-8E71-A5CB5F01FE83.jpeg

Romax Rescue

Shim Technique

Last edited:
Glad to see you finally posting it here Ryan. Looking forward to seeing more

Superb, lovely to see this bike here. It's been a pleasure watching Paul work his magic. The latest video is here and I encourage anyone reading this to watch it and check the others if you've not already seen them.

I liked this video a lot too. Pretty cool technique. I also really loved watching the ICR stem video.

Can't wait to see this finished Ryan, I've been following on FB as well and seen all Paul's videos on it, what a beauty 😍

Hey Roy, let me know if you guys head out for another brodie ride 😉

Back