Rocky Mountain Blizzard '96

What a great find. I've seen bikes languishing in gardens before but never anything like this :shock:

A great selection of parts too!

Nice work on the seatpost :D

A bit of an update, got hold of another Raceface Ex stem with un broken collar :) Best of all its shorter than my original and has more rise.

The Rockshox Judy xc fork is really tired and needs new internals so I decided to use a Marzocchi Z2 I had. I ran into some trouble in that it was missing its canti hanger so again I did some more searching and came up with a Nos one :cool:

Cool so far... So after more grief removing the corroded bolts and thoroughly stuck stem and spacers I dropped out the old forks and put the Zocchi's on. Then I ran into another problem. The RF Ex stems have internals specific to the type of fork steerer and in my case both my stems are for a steel steerer so I can't use the RF stem on the Marz fork!

So I either need to get my Judy's fixed or find the internals for an alu steerer RF ex stem.

For now I've fitted the Z2's with a red ringle zooka pics to follow :cool:

Lookin good! What's the diameter of internal that you need? I may be able to swap mine with yours if it helps

Thanks for the offer, I meant to send you a pic via pm

The only bit that differs between the alu and steel steerer versions is the alloy knurled tube. I don't have a micrometer so the best I could do is this crude tape measure method!

Looks like its 24mm external so I guess the alloy steerer version would be closer to 23mm. The easy way to tell is if it fits in an alloy steerer then that's the one I need :)

pics for comparison, there's actually one other version that uses a standard quill stem expander. which isn't compatible with the other version, as the design and bolt size is different.

Attachments

• DSC06842.JPG
    DSC06842.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC06841.JPG
    DSC06841.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 209
First ride today. Just a quick shakedown ride to check it fits me :)

Pleased to find it rides really nice and fits well. I haven't used canti brakes since I sold my Claude Butler Saragosa to buy a '94 Zaskar back in 1999 but even though the pads are hard and old it stops really well. So the WTB Speedmaster canti's can stay but the Dia compe levers are very corroded and not at all trick so I'm on the lookout for a set of red Avids or Real levers :cool:

So now I'll strip it down and re build it with new tyres, cables, cassette, chain and bolts where the old have rusted. Also noticed the bearings are really rough in the rear wheel.
I have given up on this being a catalogue spec after the seatpost incident so I will probably change the wheels as well.

Good work KM ,

Look forward to seeing it out on the local retrorides . So how does it feel riding along the beach AND the prom ? :shock:

Going off on a tangent slightly ,

Shutter , I'm also on the look out for some amber walls . What have you got to tempt us with :roll:

Mike

Mike Muz 67":3a40n4sx said:
Shutter , I'm also on the look out for some amber walls . What have you got to tempt us with :roll:

Mike

Hmmm... Well I have quite a few old school tires... Probably about 10+ sets... Just haven't had a chance to post them... I also have a number of old forks, vintage steel frames (rocky, Ritchey, de kerf, spesh, ...) and wheelsets galore

Here's my dilemma... Shipping is going to be high overseas...

I'm building a new massive garage workshop as big as my house in a couple months so this weekend I have to empty out my current garage. I will try to take pics of all the large items and post them, just keep in mind, shipping will not be cheap =)

Back