Rocky Mountain - Altitude 1991 - Up and running and changing still...

FluffyChicken":1t1ofce6 said:
Yes :) It all came back to me a while after I started getting it out. I could remember Onza's
It was on because it's 24 tooth and the XTR is 26 tooth.

Ah... Onza Buzzsaws... that takes me back. Stainless steel middle rings, what a great idea. Could be made thinner than alloy ones so the weight penalty was minimal, and they'd pretty much last forever.

As I'm still using 74/110 chainsets, if anyone has any original Buzzsaws they could part with, middle or inner, please let me know.

I forgot all about this thread but recent talks from Dekerf made me look for it again.

A few years have past since I first join the forum and well well what I didn't know back then :LOL: Learnt a lot in the past years.

Bikr is now partly dismantled as I've been checking up on the 'rust worms etc.' They are all surface rust though but the paints obviously taken a turn for the wosrse as I've scrapped at it :LOL:
Mainly the downtube as it's taken the brunt of the weather while riding.

What's quite interesting it the rear chainstay none-drive side has had a large patch of no paint for 15+ years and yet never rusted, it seems to have some sort of finishing, might grab a picture.

Though I'd add some other close ups I took a while ago

Can just see the 'worm' rusting starts from a cetral point, all surface though
P1010993.JPG

On decal I've yet to sketch up for printing if ever needed
P1020006.JPG

I do like this seat tube area and canti hanger design. Must put canti's back on at some point.
P1010373.JPG

'ere be what it's made of
P1020002.JPG

Well it evolved a little more
MAGs are back on and it feel much better.

I've also filled in a lot more details on who made it (1991's) i.e. Chris Dekerf on contract and who current painter actually sprayed this frame originally.

Plus checked the rust spots and worm runs and they are only surface and kurust has done it's job, frames not looking pretty with the scraps and kurust splashes :twisted: and have more do do, but that'll be in the future

Still retro-mod though, might eventually get it back but I like riding this more than playing with it.
<Insert spec here at some point>

P1040235.JPG

ABCD0006-3.jpg

ABCD0007-3.jpg

Ah you've finally got round to updating your thread :LOL:

Fantastic bike, I've never ridden anything as good :D

Just for Chris

(though the bike has had different stuff on it since the picture above, and also been stolen and recovered... It had the modern stuff placed back on it for usability and after obtaining a SL steerer again I bunged it on and rigids for a laugh. Actually rides quick and comfy.)

P1090451.JPG

think I did a good job at bastardising that :D

Frame: Rocky Mountain : Altitude : 1991 [20"]

Fork: Rock Shox SL crown, Custom fork legs at @410mm (presumed D.Yates)

Headset: Ritchey WCS (modern) 1-1/8"
Spacers: FSA Polywhatsits (modern)
Stem: Syncros Cattlehead 130mm 0deg, Silver with newer 3 piece clamp
Handlebar: Answer Hyperlites, Black Alu large sweep, moderner styling
Grips: ODI Subliminal
Barends: n/a

Brake Levers: XT M770
Brakes: LX M580 rear / XT M780 front (modern)
Brake Pads: Discobrakes/Clarks triple compound
Brake Cables: Clarks

Shifters: GripShift SRT-600
Front Derailleur: XT M771 (26.8mm TopPull)
Rear Derailleur: XT M772
Derailleur Cables: Clarks
Cassette: XT M737 11-28
Chain: KMC X8-99
Cranks: SLX M660 175mm
Chainrings:
- Bottom: Middleburn HC-SS 22T
- Middle: Middleburn HC-SS 32T
- Top: Middleburn HC-SS 42T
Chainring bolts: Alu
Bottom Bracket: SLX
Pedals: Powerplay Force

Hub Skewers: Brand-X - Silver (I think)
Rims:
- Front: Araya RM-395 XC 32h
- Rear: Araya RM-395 XC 32h
Hubs:
- Front: DT Swiss Hugi, 32h
- Rear: DT Swiss Hugi, 32h
Nipples:
- Front: Unknown , silver
- Rear: Unknown , silver
Spokes:
- Front: DT DB 2.0/1.7
- Rear: DT PG :(
Tyres: (change regularly)
- Front: Charge Splashback 1.8"
- Rear: Charge Splashback 2.1"
Tubes:
- Front: Geax MTB Ultralite Presta
- Rear: Geax MTB Ultralite Presta

Saddle: Flite Ti (late 90's ?)
Seatpost: Syncros, silver 27.0 (cut down)
Seatpost Binder: TranzX

Weight: 22.00lb

Nice mix of modern and retro. If you think of it, it's actually unbelievable that you can mount modern M780 (?) XT mechs on it and still all functions well.

Which fork legs have you used on that Mag21 crown?

Saddle as much as possible forwards, lots of spacers below the stem... How that reminds me of myself :)

I've added the spec sheet, the spacers will drop but it's a 245mm SL steerer and the cut goes through the star nut and I didn't want to man handle it out just yet. That and I need to check how long it needs to be for the '93 altitude in case I swap.

The legs are a custom made one that I got with the '93 altitude. Believed to be Dave Yates iirc.
Bit long fro the frame but hey ho, it was really comfy to ride as it's setup.

I intend to put the RF Turbine LP crank back on it had for some time but well the frame could really do with a repaint. It has so much patina now especially after it was stolen and and I scraped some of to dab here and there with kurust :)

FluffyChicken":1uiai7np said:
think I did a good job at bastardising that :D
my gawd, what did you do to the poor thing, being stolen wasn't enough??? :? :LOL:

looks like a giraffe with all those headset spacers! please do it justice and give your old friend some much needed TLC soon!

and Ben, you should know better than to be running the chain outer to inner. :facepalm: that just hurts to see your rear mech like that! :shock:

;)

I was thinking more the African tribe with the neck rings.

That's a modern mech and chain, they can cope fine with that. ( I also thought it would compliment the picture I'm building of the bike :LOL:)

Back