Rock Shox Judy XC/FSX upgrade to 80mm, how?

:LOL: this has all gone over my head. all i want is a good performance option to get the FSX to 80mm of travel with the least amount of cost/maintenance/issues.

RockiMtn":37be11s5 said:
:LOL: this has all gone over my head. all i want is a good performance option to get the FSX to 80mm of travel with the least amount of cost/maintenance/issues.

It's not rocket surgery. 125mm upgraded Al bodied cartridge w. the matching dummy rod. Transfer the hardware off the original cartridge and rod. Drop in some 210mm springs. Done. Nice thing about the kits is they come with the spring couplers and you can mix spring weights in the stack between the Type IIs.

42F9DD93-8AB8-4DFF-9CD7-82F23B6D1E98_zpss2s7ovhw.jpg

Now it's complicated. Not Ohlins USD wave washer stack complicated, though.

Re:

so aside from the LT kit, i would need to replace the springs in there too as i'd need longer?

Eibach springs, i have those in my Civic. :)

in the past few days I've read up/asked a few ppl and figured out how to take apart the two forks I have. one is an FSX and the other is a really battered SL.

the FSX has springs and elastomer combo, it has both black, white (fits into springs) and also one metal spacer. not sure why it's only in one leg stack. :? overall it's in okay condition, though the elastomer is somewhat drying out and a few cracks forming. also one of the lowers, the plastic(?) at the top has cracks in it, any ideas on how i could maybe fix those up a little so they aren't as noticeable?

the SL is a combo of springs and a pair of elastomers, of one is deformed. lot of crap on the springs, grease and either crud or perhaps rust. i'll need to clean to assess if they are still in okay condition to use. stanchions look pretty trashed, not sure if they are of any good now. one of the SL legs has a lot of deposits (corrosion?) in it, should i try to clean it up, or avoid using it?

the FSX i was considering putting on the Silk Ti i recently acquired, but maybe i should go with another fork of the same period, any recommendations?

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=345849

Attachments

• DSC02924.JPG
    DSC02924.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 691
  • DSC02911.JPG
    DSC02911.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 691
  • DSC02910.JPG
    DSC02910.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 692
  • DSC02915.JPG
    DSC02915.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 692
  • DSC02914.JPG
    DSC02914.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 692
  • DSC02913.JPG
    DSC02913.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 692
  • DSC02912.JPG
    DSC02912.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 691
Ouch. Elastomers are all pooched. The cracking on the FSX is just the clear coat, but I'd be concerned about the bonding of the upper legs. The stanchions on the SL are gone. Hard to tell about the bushings, but from the look of the grit/corrosion, They're on their way at best. Is there any oil in the cartridges? looks like it all wound up coating all the internals. The springs and plastic clips will clean up. Judys are good forks, but they need to be maintained rigorously.

okay, i tried pulling out the cartridge on the SL which was working and had oil in it. wasn't sure how to do it and so i screwed one of the lowers back on and pulled. it popped and ended up pulling the shaft out of the cartridge and all the oil came out. :facepalm: guess that wasn't what i should have done. :(

Re:

i had removed the circlip and the thin washer. the end of the cartridge was pulled off with the rod.

looks to have been the plastic, not metal cartrige? photos…

Attachments

• DSC02931.JPG
    DSC02931.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 632
  • DSC02930.JPG
    DSC02930.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 632
Back