Rock shock steering stem swap

Oldskool26er

Old School Hero
Hi guys....I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting to swap/change a 1-1/8" steering stem to a 1" stem. I know there are guys that do that and some forks have removable crowns. I have a set of carbon FSX rock shock forkd that I want to swap steering stems with. I have access to a 1" removable crown/stem assembly off a mag 21. I don't know for sure but I am assuming stanchion diameter is the same on both so would that be an option?....you guys are great and I love being associated with a group that indulges in the vintage 26 inch mtb's that were part of our early days of mountain biking

As far as I know, mag 21 CSU will not fit, neither will quadra, indy etc. If you have a CSU with the bolt on crown, then it's a case of looking for the one you need. Or, you could get someone to press out the existing one and replace with a new one machined to fit the hole left in the crown, but with the 1 inch diameter steerer you need. I had this done once, the steerer was machined out of aluminium and was also made with a captive threaded top to avoid the need for a star nut. The challenge is finding someone who can do this for you.

I have a similar issue, but I need to replace the steerer on my FSX for a longer version.

Problem is, my model doesn't have the bolted clamps on the crown. So I have to find someone who can remove the pressed stanchions and switch out the crown for another I have with a longer steerer...

But as you say, it's finding someone who can do that for me!

Unfortunately the Mag series of forks have smaller diameter stanchions compared to the later Rock Shox forks like Judy etc.

As far as I know, mag 21 CSU will not fit, neither will quadra, indy etc. If you have a CSU with the bolt on crown, then it's a case of looking for the one you need. Or, you could get someone to press out the existing one and replace with a new one machined to fit the hole left in the crown, but with the 1 inch diameter steerer you need. I had this done once, the steerer was machined out of aluminium and was also made with a captive threaded top to avoid the need for a star nut. The challenge is finding someone who can do this for you.
Thanks for the heads up...what's CSU stand for...crown stanchion unit?

Crown steerer unit.

In their day they were very good. Compared to the Judy series not as good. The Judy fsx being a great looking fork that's very light and tidy. Wish I didn't sell my one☹️
It all depends what you intend on using it for really. Riding or just to complete a retro build

Which FSX is this?

If it is a MAG series based one then yes it will fit.
If it is the Judy series based one then no it will not fit.

Back