roadie components on mtbs

It was an LX group. I had one of those as well! My first 'real' MTB after years of chuck together builds. :cool: However, mine was the previous silver group.

Can't remember what the headset was though. By the time I sold it to a mate and bought my C-16 it had a full XT group on it as the rest had been trashed. Hmm... I wonder if he still has it? ;)

1" mountain bike headset in 1993 was not so common, oversize was the fashion.
Maybe they couldn't get an LX so stuck a 105 on. You often get bikes that deviate significanlty from the catalogue spec from new.

My Scott's had a 600 headset on it since about '95. The original Ritchey one gave up the ghost very quickly. I've kept a piece of inner tube around the bottom race (like a 'Headcase - remember them - but a lot cheaper!) which has now rotted away but the headset is still fine.

back in the olden days my kona ran a 105 rear mech and a road cassette. someone told me it makes you fast. my kona rebuild now has a 105 rear mech and a road cassette. ( think i might be too fat for the cassette now though!!)

Just wait and see..

The new 11-28 10 speed Dura-Ace and 11-28 SLX 9 speed cassettes will mean everyone suddenly wants to run road components on their MTBs again....

I had a 105 1" threaded headset and a DuraAce rear mech on my bontrager BITD.

It's stripped for a rebuild and wil be getting a 105 headset and DuraAce rear again :)

Back