Road focussed bike around an mtb frame

Re: Re:

ishaw":117iq7cx said:
So what cx tyres would suit the i23 rims I have hanging in the garage. Been scouring the web and there are many to choose from, I'm used to skinny road tyres or mtb, cx is new to me.
build the wheels and check the clearances. Before buying.
Then it depends on what your road/ gravel/ mud mix will be.....

Re:

When I get the frame I'll check clearances using a set of road wheels (might also check 27.5 clearance while I'm at it, though building a ragley at the moment in this size).

All things being well, what 700c width would be best? I'm used to narrow road style, but have seen some 38c cx tyres. Would these work on the i23 rims or should I go wider?

38s should be fine, but avoid going too large if you want to use it (mainly) on the road. Unless you go semi slick.

(If they are proper offroad tyres in that size, they'll be a pain on road.)

Re:

I have made 2 of these projects, both turned out great. My misses rides a Commencal supernormal 26" frame with 700c x 38 and a rigid touring fork and drop bars. Easy conversion because the rear triangle does not have a brace.

I ride a 91 cro-mega with 650b x 40 with more than enough clearance, even fits some fenders. Makes a sturdy but fast ride that will enable lugage racks and pottholes/curbes and all the other stuf you find on urban rides.

Go for it!

Re:

I looked into doing this, but a 29'er wheel with skinny tyre will be 1-2 inches bigger circumference than a 26" fat tyred wheel - that will add to the already quite high (compared to road bikes) BB height making cornering weird.
I'm not convinced there's much benefits to the bigger wheels on the road, I'd just put some slicks / semi-slicks on 26" wheels and benefit from the lower BB and better road absorbtion from being able to run fatter slicks than you would be forced to use with 29'er rims.
That's just my take on it though.

Re:

Hi Ian,

when your frame arrives, I could ride over on my Boardman CX team and then you could try my wheels with the tyres fitted (38 I think).

SP

You could just use mtb or touring Pedals on your road bike? Avoids the faff with Spd-SL cleats & shoes.? I use M520 shimano Pedals and Mtb shoes on my gravel/road bike.
If you're not into tight lycra then maybe cull the road bike and get a cx or gravel bike instead?
Or adapt your mtb as you mentioned (wheels should be fine, longer top tube might mean you need a shorter /higher stem though).

Back