Ritchey P-21

7Speed

Retro Guru
Ritchey P-21 on eBay
This is one of my dream bikes, but looks to be quite a late model (at least judged by the finishing kit). Anyone know expert enough to know about the frame given the serial number in the photos? Looks to be part obscured by the cable guide…Thoughts?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Ritchey confirmed this is an early 90s TIG weld P-21 made in Japan and shipped and finished in California.

Ritchey P-21 on eBay
This is one of my dream bikes, but looks to be quite a late model (at least judged by the finishing kit). Anyone know expert enough to know about the frame given the serial number in the photos? Looks to be part obscured by the cable guide…Thoughts?
Link?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Ha, totally missed it when viewing on my phone. :rolleyes:

"...finished in California" may be better than it sounds. It's my understanding that the process on "Handcrafted by Ritchey Mountain Bikes" decaled bikes was that Tom had the front triangles built in Japan and finished the rear triangles himself in California, which is evident in the very clean fillets at all of the joints on the rear end.

Ha, totally missed it when viewing on my phone. :rolleyes:

"...finished in California" may be better than it sounds. It's my understanding that the process on "Handcrafted by Ritchey Mountain Bikes" decaled bikes was that Tom had the front triangles built in Japan and finished the rear triangles himself in California, which is evident in the very clean fillets at all of the joints on the rear end.
Ritchey described this to me as “alignment and braze-ons” completed by Tom.

Can someone school me on the P21 lineage/history and what years they're available and those that are the most desirable? I'd really like to add a Ritchey to my collection and love the look of the P bikes

I guess you already know the Tom Ritchey back story. The P-series bikes started around 1990 when the scene was already well progressed and were the “project” frames. More race orientated and arrived just as the UCI was creating the world champs etc. Team bikes were handmade by the man himself (fillet brazed), with non-team frames TIGnwelded in Japan and shipped to IS for finishing. The bikes are quite legendary because of the success the race team had (Djernise, Frischnecht, Myrah, Matthes). Lots of top rider XC bikes were re-painted Ritchey’ s back then too. Apologies for keeping it super simple and undoubtedly with a few errors too. lots on the net.

The P-series bikes started around 1990 when the scene was already well progressed and were the “project” frames. Team bikes were handmade by the man himself (fillet brazed), with non-team frames TIGnwelded in Japan and shipped to IS for finishing. Lots of top rider XC bikes were re-painted Ritchey’ s back then too.
If you dont mind: What alphanumeric differences of the serial number differentiate frames? On the Team Ritchey's where is the serial number located? What obvious and not so obvious que's would one use to discern an authentic Team bike from a P21 IF for example the serial numbers were not readable and the frames were painted identical?

Back