Riser Bars or flat bars?

Back in 1992 I bought a Cannondale Beast of the East in Red with Pepperoni forks and a LX groupset.This ended up with a carbon seatpost,titanium stem and a huge set of red anodised(?) riser bars.Most of the groupset was eventually replaced with suntour greaseguard components for ease of maintenance and low weight (microdrive had appeared).With a pair of handbuilt Mavic 231's and kevlar beaded Specialized Ground Control tyres the resulting animal weighed about 25lbs and was a real hoot in its natural habitat off road.I seem to remember that the bars came from some other area of cycling,rather than conventional off roading,and were called bull bars.Touring bikes were also a source for unusual shaped bars.

mikee":1sowybxj said:
True , we all had flats bitd , up till about 94/5 club roost go fast's were the first as I re call ,certainly in our area
Seemed to be the advent of mainstream full suss meant you needed risers

Was just answering mark Hendricks post

I do like bullmoose bars these days tho

Mark Hendrix :LOL:

I had a mate in 92, fitted low rise M/X Renthals to his Trek 9500 Spacehopper, he had to make up a shim for the centre but they looked and worked great, inspired me to fit a set to my LTS DH 10 years later :)

I had a mate in 92, fitted low rise M/X Renthals to his Trek 9500 Spacehopper, he had to make up a shim for the centre but they looked and worked great, inspired me to fit a set to my LTS DH 10 years later :)[/quote]

I did the same but to my trail bike in the late 70's / early 80's, they were gold anno & used a Coke can shim :) They always moved though as i could never get the bolt on the road stem tight enough :?

Gruff":12dkmt9u said:
I did the same but to my trail bike in the late 70's / early 80's, they were gold anno & used a Coke can shim :) They always moved though as i could never get the bolt on the road stem tight enough :?

Made my shim out of a bit of seatpost (a two inch section split down the middle), worked perfect ;)

jimihendrix":rid3wz6b said:
Gruff":rid3wz6b said:

Made my shim out of a bit of seatpost (a two inch section split down the middle), worked perfect ;)

I was only 10 in 1980 so didn't think like that :LOL:

Back