Riser Bars or flat bars?

Love the look of flat bars and on some large frames I can get away with them
But it's generally risers due to my aged back

What about bullmoose bars ?

Have flats on my 91 Clockwork as risers just would'nt look right but have to admit do find the steering a bit sketchy on technical stuff and not %100 confident on the bike*

Have risers (Retro Azonics) on both my GT's (16" Bravado and Zaskar) as these seem to get away with it in terms of asthetics.

And as for the "risers are not Retro" the first ever mountain bikes had risers, also Hans Rey fitted risers to his Zaskar in 94, cant get more Retro than that :)

*still love the clockwork to bits and wouldnt change it for the world

Just re-furbished my newly acquired Clockwork.I started with flats which were as I remembered them,but after the first shake down ride changed them for wider riser bars.Things progress and basically the original flats were too narrow for fine control,especially at slow speeds,and for the sake of my back I prefer to have the bars at the same level as the seat or even slightly higher.The seller of the Clockwork supplied it with the original flats and a pair of riser bars because he had gone through the same process.

BITD I bought both Clockwork and Prestige and each went through a period of change from new as components were swopped out and improved,including the bars.It was rare to find two Clockworks exactly the same as many people had them built up by the LBS and took the opportunity to incorporate their favourite parts at the same time.

This Clockwork is no different,so far it has acquired riser bars,a modern Orange branded saddle,a modern Orange branded water bottle and modern tyres.The bits that work,like the XT shifters have been retained,but as bought it had Biopace rings that I detest,and at the moment it has a Sugino chainset.The DX brake blocks had the consistency of concrete and have been replaced with a new set of Aztec brakes blocks,just as I used to do 20 years ago.

Botom line:do what feels right for you

mikee":2vnjrh05 said:
Hans had risers on his zaskar in 91
Profile ones

but how many other people had them? Hans was pretty much a trials specific rider back then, so perhaps they suited his style.
I can't recall any of my biking buddies having risers in those days, flat bars were de rigeur :cool:
Nor can I remember seeing riser bars advertised during that time, not until later when downhill racing grew and specific bikes were produced did I see riser bars (although obviously they must have been produced, if even in small numbers, anyone got a link to some retro riser bars?).

Anyway, back to the original question, aesthetics aside, the right choice is the one that works best for you :)

True , we all had flats bitd , up till about 94/5 club roost go fast's were the first as I re call ,certainly in our area
Seemed to be the advent of mainstream full suss meant you needed risers

Was just answering mark Hendricks post

I do like bullmoose bars these days tho

Back