Rim choices for Orange Prestige

lazyrabbit

Retro Guru
So I'm going to do a full restoration for my '92 Prestige and it will have mostly M900 with M737 STI's.

It won't have the black details that people usually prefer and instead focus on white and silver.

It's going to be my nice road going machine.

Now I have just sold a 230 TIB rim I am not sure whether I should have done that. I had acquired some NOS Campy K2 rims in 28h flavour but have since decided these may not be appropriate. I regard the 230's as the safe choice (came original stock, lightweight, elegant). Am I being too cautious or should I push on with this rim choice? What others would you consider?

Attachments

• DSC05053.jpg
    DSC05053.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 774
Re:

Mavic 231 was the rim of the day and it's lighter wafer thin cheese metal 230's where for weenies like me to buy.

Not very strong, but the showoff rim to have.

The Campag. may well be stronger.

Or go Araya 395/400 or just a bit lower down in the Araya range if you want a time that's strong light enough and will last a long time.

You're not keeping too period correct so you have quite a choice... Getting them will be the harder part.

Re:

Mavic 231 in silver is what first springs to mind.
I have some black Campag rims on my Prestige, but if you fancy silver then there are options as Fluffychicken has mentioned.

What colour is the frame?

Re:

I will keep looking for some rims... This Colnago build has what I had in mind with the large Kojak slicks. The frame will be Orange and white. I thought maybe that full Shimano + Campy rims would be a bit 'wrong'.

Attachments

• 4a6b26922d94235952a82c26e79e8c3e--masters-campagnolo.jpg
    4a6b26922d94235952a82c26e79e8c3e--masters-campagnolo.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 722
Re:

Depends on whether you are building a period correct bike or not. I'm guessing not. Personally I think white rims would be overkill and I'd be looking for something to complement the frame/fork choice that sets itself well against their colours.

Re:

ishaw":3j6jp73a said:
Depends on whether you are building a period correct bike or not. I'm guessing not. Personally I think white rims would be overkill and I'd be looking for something to complement the frame/fork choice that sets itself well against their colours.

Pretty much agree with this - there's lots of rim brake compatible rims still out there that will do the job, Mavic 717's and DT XR 4.1's being my more recent(ish) choices with an older frame.

If you were going period though I always have thought Mavic 231 CD's were the best looking rim with a orange frame of this era, in the orange/white colourway ;)

Re:

Can't see why the deep V rims would be wrong for being made by Campag, it's just a name.

I can see other reason ;-)
:LOL:

But then I'm not a fan of the deep V rim look.

mock it up with the frame and part in position (lay it on the ground since you cannot fix it all together).

Take some pictures.

Re:

Thanks for the replies, yes, period correct isn't really my goal, just something I like.

I played around with some flat black Sun CR18's I already have and found they could work well. Then I spied some other deep V rims by Rigida online that also have 32h. I will pick those up and if I choose to have deep V's will build up the Rigida (DP22's) instead as they are pretty much identical.

I'll keep hold of them until I have the frame more advanced, with some added bits, and then I can decide properly.

Attachments

• k2.jpg
    k2.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 648
  • cr18.jpg
    cr18.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 648
Back