Ride no matter what - Part II: MTB TT bike

Re:

This is how it happened: It's break of dawn, light but not full daylight, i'm coasting down a fairly steep residential street under the dappled shadows of overhanging tall trees at over 40km/h feeling relaxed and confident with the ease of a guy who's ridden bikes for decades on all terrains. Suddenly the bike violently bucks me off sending me over the top and tumbling down the road. Broken wrist, deep knee injury and road rash to knees, shin, elbows, arse, shoulder, hands, wrist and chin.
Speed bumps in Malaysia are supposed to be painted with broad diagonal yellow stripes, but the road had been resurfaced over the top of a speed bump with the bump still there but not repainted, the road was just clean black tarmac. This happened 10 weeks ago and still not been repainted.
Maybe i could've been more focussed but it seems a shame to end up with shattered wrist for the sake of a bit of yellow paint.
Like the earlier post, i'm going intense on the physio and can only hope it will get strong enough to ride again without giving aches and pains. Unfortunately the joint surface itself got fractured in two places.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 490
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 490
Re:

Are those Titanium screws that the surgeon used? :mrgreen:
Maybe you could have asked for the plate to be purple anodized as well? :)

An unlucky accident for sure, but your solution to riding with a busted wrist is impressive!

Re:

Now updating to second contraption..
Wrist now strong enough to ride but aches after a while, solution: MTB TT bike!

Fitted a set of Tri-bars. It took a bit of fettling but works well. Clamps are 31.8mm so had to fit them close to the stem due to the design of MTB riser bar, needed to lash up some brackets to space the elbow pads apart. Also needed to remove the XT shifter indicators to create space for everything on the bar so made some weather seals out of a clear plastic iphone cover to keep the shifters clean.

Just came back from first ride (road) and found it quite an interesting experience riding on tri-bars. The first noticable difference is the very twitchy handling, it takes a while to get used to it, and secondly the aero effect, i was using higher gears and rolling faster than previously, to an extent greater than i was expecting.
Riding with an injury just makes me grateful to be riding at all. Cycling is a great motivator for life! Got to keep rolling...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 421
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 421
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.7 KB · Views: 421
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg