Reynolds tubing weight comparisons

The weight I gave is just for the HQ frame (as others earlier in the thread were doing). I've just checked with the kitchen digital scales and its 2397g with forks, Campag seatbolt & a Campag Sport headset.

And the headset is steel... ;)

According to Velobase the equivalent Record Pista headset (also steel) weighs 160g, so about 2237g for the frame, perhaps minus 30g for the bolt?

In his writeup for the frame, Hilary described how this frame 'was almost certainly built from one of the extra light 531 tubesets that Reynolds were able to supply but which were not standard'. It's the same weight as an equivalent 753 frameset. And all this in the mid 1960s...

Retrobike indeed!

HW

Hillwalker":3jya7qpl said:
The weight I gave is just for the HQ frame (as others earlier in the thread were doing). I've just checked with the kitchen digital scales and its 2397g with forks, Campag seatbolt & a Campag Sport headset.

And the headset is steel... ;)

According to Velobase the equivalent Record Pista headset (also steel) weighs 160g, so about 2237g for the frame, perhaps minus 30g for the bolt?

In his writeup for the frame, Hilary described how this frame 'was almost certainly built from one of the extra light 531 tubesets that Reynolds were able to supply but which were not standard'. It's the same weight as an equivalent 753 frameset. And all this in the mid 1960s...

Retrobike indeed!

HW

Ah, I see - I hadn't picked up on the fact others were quoting frame only weights. In that case, yes it seems very likely this was the precursor to 531SL which was very close to 753 in terms of weight. That means it won't be alarmingly bendy either!

Mark.

Re:

I weighed the Merckx Corsa Extra SLX I bought yesterday. 2.1kg (plus some change) for the frame and 725g for the fork. In a size 56.

So, that weighs exactly the same as my Bob Jackson!

I had some further thoughts about this. So happens I have a Peugeot Perthus (posted last april) in the shed, stripped down for a rebuild. Weighing up all the components, with downtube levers, it will build just under 18lbs (17.77lbs). That's nothing carbon, and not buying anything extra light, just the components i already had or had planned to buy for it. Will be amainly Record / Chorus mixed build with Deda finishing kit and 8 speed.

So yesterday I started stripping the paint and rubbing down the rust, decided this was too much effort for a man with 32 stitches in his back (multiple mole excision), so am going to pay to get it sprayed.

Back