Return to Rigid (1992 Diamond Back Axis XT)

Jussa

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So for those who want the full low-down on this build and how it came about then have a gander at the link below. In a nutshell this was my first ever MTB, and one of only a couple which are fully rigid. I will be honest I love my Hard Tails and Full Sussers, but recently I've been rekindled to the world of Rigid. On Saturday (30th May) I took my Diamond Back out for a nice 18'miler, a mixture of country lanes, farm tracks, bridle paths and single track taking in part of the Peddars Way cycle route. Its my longest ride on the Axis for many years and I will be honest it was an absolute dream to ride. The Brahma Bars (Love em or hate em) gave me multiple options in bar position throughout, the 3 x 7 speed XT group-set was silky smooth, and the Avenir Gel saddle kept my posterior comfy for the duration. This bike really did come to life, the feedback it gave kept me honed in on the trails including the sketchy sandy/gravel parts, I didn't rely on front suspension to absorb the bumps I used my arms more and positioning, It actually felt alive and i'm sure at times had me grinning like a Cheshire cat!! So am I regressing? Why now at 50 am I finding new love for Rigid? will riding a bike with suspension forks ever be the same again?

Anyway here are a few pics, and if you want to read the back story take a look here;

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=263787

Stay Safe Retrobikers

Jussa :)

Attachments

• AxisXT3.jpg
    AxisXT3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 263
  • AxisXT2.jpg
    AxisXT2.jpg
    990.4 KB · Views: 263
  • AxisXT1.jpg
    AxisXT1.jpg
    780.8 KB · Views: 264
With you 100%. Riding most normal routes on modern is like driving a farm track in a Paris-Dakar car - it's over-capable and a bit dull. I'm of an age where I heal slower and the risk/reward equation has changed.

Rigid gives all the fun, riding out directly from my front door. Be careful, the next step is singlespeeding. My geared hardtail doesn't go out nearly as often as the rigid singlespeed.

So for those who want the full low-down on this build and how it came about then have a gander at the link below. In a nutshell this was my first ever MTB, and one of only a couple which are fully rigid. I will be honest I love my Hard Tails and Full Sussers, but recently I've been rekindled to the world of Rigid. On Saturday (30th May) I took my Diamond Back out for a nice 18'miler, a mixture of country lanes, farm tracks, bridle paths and single track taking in part of the Peddars Way cycle route. Its my longest ride on the Axis for many years and I will be honest it was an absolute dream to ride. The Brahma Bars (Love em or hate em) gave me multiple options in bar position throughout, the 3 x 7 speed XT group-set was silky smooth, and the Avenir Gel saddle kept my posterior comfy for the duration. This bike really did come to life, the feedback it gave kept me honed in on the trails including the sketchy sandy/gravel parts, I didn't rely on front suspension to absorb the bumps I used my arms more and positioning, It actually felt alive and i'm sure at times had me grinning like a Cheshire cat!! So am I regressing? Why now at 50 am I finding new love for Rigid? will riding a bike with suspension forks ever be the same again?

Anyway here are a few pics, and if you want to read the back story take a look here;

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=263787

Stay Safe Retrobikers

Jussa :)
That era Diamond Backs - beautiful to ride. Actually soft but stiff, you know? I'm 54 mate. Still ride the open I bought second hand in '96. And those bars will be all the go soon - bikepacking/ gravel etc...

Attachments

• IMG_0376.JPG
    IMG_0376.JPG
    364.3 KB · Views: 10
Back