Retrobike Touring.

Re: Retro MTB Touring.

Double-E F":q68a89ny said:
hamster":q68a89ny said:
I'm jealous of you lot. I was planned on a tour in the Netherlands last week with my son. Then with 10 days to go he broke his arm.

How sad! Hope he is doing better now..

Just out of curiosity: what was the approximate route of the tour you guys were planning to ride? I'd be interested to hear what non-Dutch biking enthousiasts think are interesting trails in the Netherlands :D .

If you're ever giving it another try in the future and you're in the Nijmegen area, feel free to stop by for a cup of tea ;).

My sister is Dutch, born and bred. I may take you up on the offer of a cup of tea if I ever get to come over :)

Excellent thread and reports, I'm also jealous and need to get back into proper touring, once I've got rid of some weight and got my full fitness back :oops: .

Ritz":2gktzspc said:
Excellent thread and reports, I'm also jealous and need to get back into proper touring, once I've got rid of some weight and got my full fitness back :oops: .

Neither are a requirement as I've just proven. :LOL:

The History Man":3fwgmdu5 said:
Ritz":3fwgmdu5 said:

Neither are a requirement as I've just proven. :LOL:

Perhaps next year for me then, last time I did a long distance serious tour was almost 19 years ago!

Currently trawling fleabay and other outlets for kit. My current stuff is woefully heavy. Already knocked 1.3 kilos off the weight of the tent. My old winter down bag weighs 2.25kg. Mat 1.35kgLooking at sub 1kg replacement bags and 500g mats. Ooooh titanium mugs, pots etc expensive.

Anyone else out there making the best of the good weather and going for a tour?

Double-E F":9nqaq281 said:
hamster":9nqaq281 said:
I'm jealous of you lot. I was planned on a tour in the Netherlands last week with my son. Then with 10 days to go he broke his arm.

Just out of curiosity: what was the approximate route of the tour you guys were planning to ride? I'd be interested to hear what non-Dutch biking enthousiasts think are interesting trails in the Netherlands :D .

If you're ever giving it another try in the future and you're in the Nijmegen area, feel free to stop by for a cup of tea ;).

I was planning on around 70-80km per day (he's 12). I was going to take the North Sea Route (Amsterdam - Zandvoort - Egmond - Den Helder - Leeuwarden) and then train it back to Amsterdam as time was short.

For me the NL is about relaxed riding, not cranking up huge distances (although that's possible). I toured a little a few years ago around the southern and eastern sides of the Ijsselmeer - really relaxed and fun, with sun and 32C every day!

I used to go to Nijmegen a lot as I worked for Philips and the chip fab there. I spent even more time in Eindhoven, in fact I even had my own bike in a shed on the Philips site!

hamster":2gkne5ra said:
Double-E F":2gkne5ra said:
hamster":2gkne5ra said:

I was planning on around 70-80km per day (he's 12). I was going to take the North Sea Route (Amsterdam - Zandvoort - Egmond - Den Helder - Leeuwarden) and then train it back to Amsterdam as time was short.

For me the NL is about relaxed riding, not cranking up huge distances (although that's possible). I toured a little a few years ago around the southern and eastern sides of the Ijsselmeer - really relaxed and fun, with sun and 32C every day!

I used to go to Nijmegen a lot as I worked for Philips and the chip fab there. I spent even more time in Eindhoven, in fact I even had my own bike in a shed on the Philips site!

Sounds great! The southern part of Limburg (near the Belgian and German borders) is also really worth touring as there's a bit more height differences than in the northern part.

Coincidently, I live really close to the former Philips Semiconductors factory, it's NXP now and before moving to Nijmegen, I also lived in Eindhoven (born and raised there..) and worked for Philips Research at the High Tech Campus. It's a small world ;)..

Anyway, my offer still stands in case you're planning to cross the Channel anytime soon!

The History Man":2gkne5ra said:
Is it really as flat as a bag full of flat things?

:LOL:
Well, it is TBH, but if you look carefully there are quite some challenging rides to be ridden in the Nijmegen area!
And as mentioned above, the southern part of Limburg holds some really challenging tracks, including one that was used for XC World Cup rides (near Landgraaf) in those glorious 90's :cool:..!

So, it is worthwhile coming over :D!

Bought a sleeping bag. Excellent for weight and warmth. 900g 2 season job long enough but found it a little restrictive for my 48+ chest and 18st. unused by previous owner. only worn by me for a couple of hours test. Packs down very small. Yours for £30 posted Link to listing: RRp 69.99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121723889794? ... EBIDX%3AIT

spose i should put this on a classified?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back