Retrobike Touring.

heres a quick question if i may?

bivvy.........any good for summer trips or sleeping bag and one man tent? plan to do a few overnighters in the peaks, would find nice dry sheltered.......areas (as your not allowed wild camping........;) ) so wondered if they kept you warm and dry enough?

cheers

chris

and i can feel another build coming on haha

Re:

Planning a week around Matlock in the summer and in the next couple of weeks testing the Marin Fourcorners on the Ridgeway route.

longun":2vz64d31 said:

bivvy.........any good for summer trips or sleeping bag and one man tent? plan to do a few overnighters in the peaks, would find nice dry sheltered.......areas (as your not allowed wild camping........;) ) so wondered if they kept you warm and dry enough?

cheers

chris

Where do you put your kit, stove, wet stuff etc. I'd always favour a small tent with a bit of a bell end inside it. ;)

I've got an old wild country one man tent in the loft i can dig out if you're interested. I have moved on to more comfort. Last used Mayhem 2013!

edit: like this one

Attachments

• 9120b2ba-c720-4466-bed1-19cded29f843-bestSizeAvailable.jpeg
    9120b2ba-c720-4466-bed1-19cded29f843-bestSizeAvailable.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 671
Re:

I'm with HM. Unless you're doing some extreme lightweight speed run type event, I think I'd rather carry the extra half kilo or so and have a proper tent.

Re:

Short tour planned in the South Hams part of Devon in late July early August...using B & Bs though, can't be doing with camping in England.

Jon.

Just back from a quick tour in Normandy on the 1994 Dawes Kickback Two MTB tandem with No2 son. Overnight ferry from Portsmouth to Ouistreham, 0530 awake and 0630 onto French soil:
33301737883_01a05ccd8d_z.jpg

A visit to the Atlantic Wall museum (with handy LCVP in the yard) and then off following the coast westwards to Corseuilles stopping frequently along the way for things like this (Churchill AVRE parked next to a heavy object), along with other fortifications, monuments, plaques etc.
34113049275_a28535c7fd_z.jpg

Lunch in Corseuilles followed by the Juno beach museum,
34113129555_a93d5bb8e7_z.jpg

plus a look over a Sherman DD took us to Arromanches 360 (very atmospheric) and the municipal campsite - slap bang in the town centre and a handy 100 yards from the bakery and restaurants.
33270656054_f991821b58_z.jpg

The evening saw us walk on the beach at low tide to explore the remains of Mulberry Harbour.
33956105422_5d056e472f_z.jpg

And dinner of course!
33270648334_c1d333cbea_z.jpg

The campsite was quiet and the long grass made it comfortable in a bike-only camping area. Fresh bread for breakfast:
34113083225_21135741a6_z.jpg

Followed by a trip to Bayeux and the Tapestry - really good.
33270629824_3b2f736174_z.jpg

And on to the German Battery at Longues-sur-Mer:
33728168020_ef6853acae_z.jpg

More dinner, then the following morning we returned by an inland route - roads were quiet in general. It's easy to forget how big and empty rural France feels compared to the UK. At no time during the trip did we experience a close pass. Drivers were patient without exception! There are also plenty of marked quiet or traffic-free routes. France is far ahead of the UK. We passed the Canadian Cemetery and stopped to pay our respects. There were lots of Canadians on the whole way, making a trip of it along with the Vimy centenary.
33728159210_81dbcd71da_z.jpg

Finally we ended up at Pegasus Bridge, the site of a glider assault on the night before D-Day. We also popped into the famous cafe Gondree, next to the bridge which was the first home liberated.
33982858731_5e0e43a595_z.jpg

And so back home on the boat to Portsmouth.

The bike is fairly modified - original wheels with Riigda Rally rims, STX SE hubs. North Road type handlebars, Kona P2 fork, XT derailleurs and Deore thumbies. Panniers are ancient Karrimor ones, rack is Blackburn. Tyres Specialized Hemisphere 2.0 semi-slicks. I've been using the bike for touring for around 9 years now, so it's pretty sorted.
Camping kit: Terra Nova Voyager tent (replacing the 25 year old Voyager I wore out), Vango and Ultimate 3 season bags. Coleman Peak 1 white gasoline stove for cooking. Weather was kind - no rain and 6C at night.
Brittany Ferries were extremely helpful, likewise customs and immigration staff.

Do it! You won't regret it.

Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":1siedkzt said:
Nice photos :D

I've just booked my tour :cool: I'm off to Scotland with Virgin Trains for less than £50! How do they do that?!

SP

Let us know if you are anywhere near the Highlands. I can tell you the secret..

We charge £50 to get in, and a whole lot more to get out!

Just don't go back telling everyone it rains all the time.

It doesn't. It is just that you are on holiday, so you notice how much it rains.

Hamster, brilliant report! Lucky little fella! He will remember that his whole life.

longun":1bbkt94u said:

cheers

chris

I use a Vango Banshee 200 for my touring and general camping needs, it's perfect for the job:

http://www.millets.co.uk/tents-camping/ ... Ap_Z8P8HAQ

I did use a Dutch Bivvi (Hooped) which was amazing but I only used it for wild camping on walks. I'd not use it when cycling as you won't be able to store your belongings in it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hooped-Bivi-B ... Sw32lYoISd

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back