Retrobike National Series Rd 7: Forest of Dean ~ AFTERMATH

Re: Retrobike National Series Rd 7: Forest of Dean ~ AFTERMA

Dave,

Those roots were dry, you should ride them wet

Spent all day looking at shoes,many thanks to all especially James and friends for a brilliant route,hopefully se you all at cannock

A great day all in chaps.....at no point during the day did I want to be anywhere else.
First thanks to the guides. The route was first class, packed with the highest quality single track, off camber paths glancing past bomb holes, great little steep drops with a climb at the bottom that you could really let fly into, and I've never heard of 'old school' downhilling until yesterday, but we all love those one minute long descents where the only limit to speed is your gearing and aerodynamic resistance rather than a crash in a technical section.......we apparently passed a stag on the final one, but at what felt like 40 mph in a two wheel drift trying to avoid the gorse bush, I'm damned if I saw it!!!.......that section of brick work that had clearly been airlifted onto a blind bend in the roller coaster section got my attention too!......
Jack......I hope you enjoyed your day. Riding with a group of men as you did could have been intimidating, but you made it......keep riding, and you will soon be showing us your heels..........
The weather was great too, the trails were lovely and dry and the rain in the midlands was biblical so we got off lightly!.......
Bram.......deal on at Evans cycles in the shoe department!......I'd go for the studded ones, help hold the zip ties on!......I'm unsure if the cuts on my calves are from brambles or just riding alongside you!
I did a broadie too for the first time in years just to end things off........it cost me a tube!......

......oh, and if Chris suggests a movie to watch when you get home, then don't......just don't!.......I had blanked it out, but I'm having flashbacks.......need to rest......

James, you're right, those roots weren't too bad, even the polished ones. I can confirm that 24 year old Tioga Farmer John's Nephew tyres are terrifying on mud though. They are okay on most other terrain. But just okay.

My 'hypothetical' mechanical was alleviated by tightening my crank bolts.

As for my 'closet secret', when you have nearly 40 bikes then there is room for just one modern full susser. To be honest though I haven't really been getting on with it that well. My 88 Saracen Blizzard was much more fun to ride yesterday.

The pub was also great, although how Dave managed to miss out on a free pudding is beyond me...

Here's a few photos.

RB_FoD-01.jpg

Spencer keeps his composure despite Andy's heckles.

RB_FoD-02.jpg

Charlieboy rolls it like a pro.

RB_FoD-03.jpg

LGF gets to grips with his Dawes oil tanker.

RB_FoD-04.jpg

Edwards takes the racing line.

RB_FoD-05.jpg

Another skills masterclass from the big man.

RB_FoD-06.jpg

"You are all ******* filth!"

RB_FoD-07.jpg

Wardrode malfunction of the ride.

RB_FoD-08.jpg

Ted C looking for the lunch stop.

RB_FoD-09.jpg

Adrian aka Coleman on his superb Pace RC100.

RB_FoD-10.jpg

A fine crop of old bikes.

RB_FoD-11.jpg

Daj - a disgrace to all Klein riders.

Blizzard26.jpg

Don't you just love it when you're bike and helmet match?

Just as others have said,

Absolutely top ride again!

Much thanks to the guides for sorting such a splendiforous route (root?).
Likewise to the rest of you 'orrible lot for making these rides the great day that they are!

No pictures from me this time - need to get the camera out again.

See you at Cannock, if not before.

TedC

Thanks all for a cracking day out and for making us newbies feel welcome :)
It took me right back to the early nineties when even a three inch root could cause instant death or at least an embarrassing strain :LOL:
Hopefully see you all again at Cannock thanks again chaps.

Top day
Thanks to James ,Neil,Hayden for guiding us round definitely need to ride down here more .cheers to Charlie for the skewers.well done to kona kid for riding all day with a bunch of strange men in the woods .top effort from bram for the first retro ride wardrobe malfunction . + the reason finally came to light why we haven't seen daj on any Mtb nationals this year ,standing on top of a climb talking to Adrian daj walked up first thing he said was I hate this s**t his face was a picture .
Cheers
Spence

I think it's Daj's suffering and misery that generally makes the day worthwhile for me, really perks me up :mrgreen:

Great day out - thanks to James Neil and Hayden for the expert guiding - a great route (or was that root?!)

Jack - you did a great job - much respect for completing the full ride :cool:

It was great to have Daj back on an MTB too - I'd forgotten how much moaning he does (although Andy was a close second!!) - pictured below on one of walks of shame down a hill - while being declared a 'disgrace to Klein riders' - he did declare it was 'better than his Roberts'........ fighting talk in some parts of this forum!!

Here's the pics I took, yes that is Paul making an adjustment to the torque setting on his left hand crank, or was that a repair? Can't remember!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0294.jpg
    IMG_0294.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 803
  • IMG_0295.jpg
    IMG_0295.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 803
  • IMG_0296.jpg
    IMG_0296.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 803
  • IMG_0297.jpg
    IMG_0297.jpg