RetroBike National MTB Series Rd 2: Surrey Hills AFTERMATH

Re:

Glad I didnt go now - would hate to have messed up all this Alivio...

Attachments

• alivio.jpg
    alivio.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 470
First of all, a huge HUGE thank you to Uncle Monty and grd for putting together what was a monumental ride. it was all their fault. What i mean is, blame them. wait wait, seriously, thank you. You organised far more than i asked you to and I'm very grateful for it :cool:

Having ridden the trails before the seemingly endless rain I know that had we had been a little more fortunate with the weather it would have proved to have been one of our best. As it was, with the trails post lunch reminiscent of the Somme, and not only the riders but the bikes beginning to seize up as well, i think the few, those happy few that made it round should be proud!

Thank you to all you guys who made the journey, as far as it was for some. it never ceases to amaze me how far some of you will travel to jump on a bicycle!

The apocalyptic conditions not only meant that I couldn't offload my tat on to some unsuspecting victim, but that we didn't manage to get a presentation in either!

without further ado *drumroll*

Given the weather and terrain, to have to present a "mechanical of the ride" award to a bike that was behaving badly anyway is nothing short of miraculous...step forward the Wizard of Oz, for your Klein Mantis and it's near constant ghost shifting!

For the "crash of the ride", i'm very glad to be able to say that for a little off just after Evian, the award goes to Godders! with all that rain, trees roots and rock gardens, i suspect we could've had something of a whole different calibre had someone been unlucky!

and now, the most presitgious award of all - the unicorn.....Bike of the Ride....goes to....

andyz's Overburys!

congratulations! prizes will be winging their ways through the post, if the winners would like to drop me a pm with their address.

See you all next year, for some slightly less gritty riding

Re:

The lack of bad mechanicals was amazing and a testament to good bike building skills from you all, and quality components.

I was wondering, as it was my first time meeting you all and I'm finding it difficult to remember names and bikes, if it would be possible to publish the list of names, forum name and bike of those that attended?It was hard to see what bikes people were riding under all that mud!

Cheers,
Sam

Re:

Could I have some new ribs please Max ?? ;-)
First time I've won a prize .....not sure I would have wanted one for crashing but hay
beggars can't be choosers ;-) also have a lovely red and purple root shaped bruise on my left side !
:oops: still a great day thank to all that came along and big thanks to Max,Mathew and Chris for organizing the ride
hopefully it will be "alot" dryer next time !
Mick :)

Re:

I am glad (and somewhat surprised) that everybody seems to have enjoyed themselves. Some good photos there! Thank you Mick and Max for taking the time to come up several weekends beforehand and also a thank you to Graham on the Salsa for helping out with guiding. Hope your ribs feel better soon Mick.

Cheers - Chris (on the muddy Ibis).

Re:

I think this is why names/usernames/bikes is helpful too . I knew Chris had the Ibis , but didn't know he was Uncle Monty . I thought he was the fella on the blue and yellow full sus bike . As he seemed to be leading the ride :facepalm:
Mike

Re:

Nope Mike, that was me, Matthew, on a Fat City Cycles, Shock a Billy.

It was a real shame that it rained so hard last week as those trails have a real flow to them when they are drier. As Chris (Uncle Monty) has said, we ride this area most weekends both on modern and retro bikes so if anyone wants to see what these trails can really be like, drop either Uncle Monty or myself a message once the sun comes out.

Back