RetroBike National MTB Rd 6: Peak District ~ AFTERMATH

Re: RetroBike National Series Rd 6: Peak District ~ AFTERMATH

Thanks for a comfortably familiar retro Peaks ride. The route and weather may have been different from previous years but the banter was as good as usual, the mechanicals were dealt with in true retro style, the bikes were lovely (at the beginning at least) and the start was delayed waiting for Pete.
Big thank you to DSP and Pete for the route, a real gem, testing, technical and blessed with the best lunch stop yet on a Peaks ride.
Highlight for me was the rocky stepped descent off Rushup Edge, with the drop into Jaggers Clough a close second.
Chapel Gate was far harder than I expected and harder than the Radio Mast climb in my opinion, and as for Harry Crumb clearing the whole thing in middle ring, well that's set a standard for next time and made me feel even worse about the amount of walking I did.
The carnage at the bottom of Dirtlow Rake was comical, it was like a weekend class in puncture repair. I found this section harsh, not the riding so much as what it might be doing to the frame, actually preferring it as a climb.
The descent of Pindale was great, and then suddenly it was all over.

Good to see you all again.

Rob

Re:

Big thanks guys , great route , great banter , don't like going up chapel gate , downhills were great if a bit hairy at times , bike now washed and chain lubed (amazed how easily the cement/grinding paste just rinsed off), no damage to me or the bike , all in all a great day out just slightly dampened by the weather but hey ho it is England so do we expect .
Matthew

Re:

Thanks all , for a great ride report and photos .

I'll be up there in two weeks , so I have an idea what I'm letting myself in for ! I'll bring a few spares ! And a link remover . And spare brake pads !

Mike

Re:

As a newbie to retrobike but not to the Peak thanks for a great ride out guys, would not have ventured out in that weather normally.
Shame about the "fog" but the relaxed friendly atmosphere and the chilli at the caff more than made up for it.
:)

Well It was a great ride out very tiring and very funny great group of people big thanks to all involved big thanks for the tie raps and drystones skills spuds for the laugh Harry crump for the last push on the few yards haha

Re:

Really enjoyed the ride, despite the rain and lack of outstanding views, which were there under the white blanket of cloud, you'll be glad to know that the skies were clear again this morning.

Cafe stop was spot on and coffee top ups too :D

good to see everyone and some new people too, see you all at the Lakes ride.

Here's the few pics I managed to take:

Re:

What can I say, this was a fantastic ride, with great company, really like the new route, think we all scared ourselves a few times, thanks to DSP and Pete for leading us round, only thing lacking was some prizes at the end, crash of the ride goes to Richard on his Marin, the noise you made was interesting, sprit of the ride has to go to dangerous Brian, (spudly) and my new nomination, geezer of the ride, goes to Marc Two Tone, for his 50 pence jumble, and assisting with the wounded RB riders

Cheers

Re:

Super ride peeps - not even the weather could dampen the spirits.

When the "new route", was announced with no climb to the radio mast, started to wander what we might have in store, but I think we have found a more than suitable successor.

One picture for now. More later. I think this was a show of hands asking who had enjoyed that climb (my legs are still feeling it). :shock:

Note someone trying to hide a whole Victoria sponge.

Attachments

• photo 14_edited-1.jpg
    photo 14_edited-1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 920
Re:

Well that seemed to go rather well! :D
Glad the weather held off and everyone enjoyed the new climbs, top marks to anyone who managed the whole loop without a dab ... although you lose all of those marks if you were smug enough to do the whole loop without dabs or use of a granny ring :roll:

As you might have noticed, I love this area and it was an absolute pleasure to help you all enjoy some of my favourite bits (the No Car Cafe, the Old Hall pub, that carpark where I finally sold the red Hope/517 front wheel...).

Looking forward to Icon-o-Classic and the Lakes now, hope to see some of you there :)

...and for anyone who has previously questioned my religious insistence at 43psi in the rear (matron), I guess it makes sense now...? ;)
:LOL:

You've sold it?!
Is that the one you brought to the velodome jumble 1.5 years ago?

Back