RetroBike Classic MTB Ride: Peak District ~ AFTERMATH

Re:

PEAK DISTRICT

WHAT better way to get back into cycling off-road than tackling the peak district?.....anyhow it was a good day all in and it was pleasing to see 26 of us turn up.

Such inviting drizzle.

The morning' weather would put anybody off as it was a little chilly too, i've known dry and 20+degrees celcius before today, same time of year. But, you can't do much about those things, just carry on and enjoy it.

I didn't get chance to speak to everyone, so have a retrospective high '5' from me for being with us!
Me? i had to bail out just afoot of mam tor, big hill thingy as my legs just wouldn't drain of lactic acid and i felt rough, almost as though there was a permanent head wind. Basically i'm out of condition and have nerve issues in my neck giving for poor performance. I can only get better so i will be back!!

The fella on the muddy fox. nice old bike mate. sheer torque pulled the rear wheel forward in the dropout. this was easily sorted.

Yeah, shame on him for holding us up! MY bike was in perfect fettle and had the correct bolts for all components, please guys, agree with me...... :oops:

;)

Mob rule.

THE radio mast, yes that one, was approached at a different angle this year, some cracking singletrack.

Drystonepaul and longun, they know their peaks!

Author's ride of the...half ride...marin travel well beyond california.

Moorland travellers, if you spot yourself let me know.

Let's dance.

More pics....

The best race face i've ever seen, good on you!

This was slmracing's post crash aftermath, sheep poo, rain and moss equals ice rink!

I did like this marin, when you know how old some bikes are, it's even more amazing.

On the day there was a good variety of bike from, saracen, orange, marin, cannondale, ibis, kona, diamond back, muddy fox. who could argue mtb'ing isn't universal and inclusive.

Again thanks to all that could attend, DSP for the overall organisation and various gate holders and people on way marking duties. See you all again soon bruvvers!

I popped into the adventure cafe and got a bacon, brie + caramelised onion, slice of quiche and a chocky flapjack whilst waiting for you guys to return. Food i badly needed and passed even more time by removing 6 links for my chain. Colin (guy nr manc airport) spotted it..my goodness i have sharpen up the whole bike building thing... :oops:

cheers!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaah I didn't realise you'd actually photographed my crazy race face...

Best photo bomb ever, :LOL:

Re: Classic MTB Ride ~ AFTERMATH

Really enjoyed the classic mtb ride, despite the weather! Decided to join the forum. Loved seeing the old school rides, reminicing about the ones I've sold in the past. Thanks to the organisers, can't wait for the next one.

Re:

Loved the ride yesterday, the rain, the grit, the burger, all good.

Thanks for another great day out in the Peaks to all of you and obviously special thanks to Paul for a cracking retro-friendly route.

Re:

Glad that the new additions to the route were generally well received. I'm a bit disappointed not to have taken in the final off road section, not so much for me, but because the view from the top and the final descent really is the highlight of the route. It's a shame to miss it, especially for those who had traveled so far to join us.
Next year it has to be dry and it'd be great to get the full route done. Either that or another route we tried a few weeks ago.

Anyway, here are a few of my photos.

RB-Peaks-01.jpg

Harrycrumb and his lovely 1985 Saracen Conquest.

RB-Peaks-02.jpg

"Where am I and why am I riding this modern bike?" asks Charlieboy. Should've changed those tyres...

RB-Peaks-03.jpg

slmracing on his trusty 1994 DiamondBack Ascent with bhill22 in the background.

RB-Peaks-04.jpg

1988 Saracen Kili Flyer - Gratuitous self indulgent own bike shot.

RB-Peaks-05.jpg

Drying out after a spell of heavy rain at the Shatton Moor radio mast.

RB-Peaks-06.jpg

toomanyframes rolling towards Hope cement works on his 1999 Intense Tracer.

RB-Peaks-07.jpg

Is that a smile or a grimace...? Doctorstewie riding a 1997 Marin Rift Zone.

I'm not missing out on this next year as it looks a real good fun day out and i might actually be able to ride a bike properly by then ;) ..

Re:

I blame DSP for the shit weather, shit steep climbs , shit mud and cold , shit burger, for making me ride on shit tyres coz he wouldn't change them for me and even for breaking the broken road.

All that aside it was a really good day

Thanks Again DSP....another fine ride.

Sorry to have bailed out on the last bit, only to see the tops break out into the sunshine. Oh well, that's the Pear District for you.
Bike of the ride for me...Adam's black Yeti. The epitome of 90s race.

Marc Two Tone:
Moorland travellers, if you spot yourself let me know.
That'll be me and Letmetalktomark.

All the best,

Back