Retro trail bike frame weights?

Ooooowww that' steep.

My Pine Mtn was quoted as 22.7lbs in 1994 (rigid forks) if I remember right.

Admittedly it had some barely functional weight weenie bits like Mavic 230 rims, but still a steel quill stem and steel headset.

Is it too dear?
Marin Ultimate was £3700 as a standard bike in 1995 from Marin, and I bet you could spend another grand on making it lighter.
Let me calculate inflation since then...

game over fellas :(

if companies expect people to lay down 7Gees on a bike for " long distance mountain rides or just simply touring with your friends " or as i like to say JUST GOING FOR A RIDE nobody will buying mountain bikes anymore :( now its clear you have to have 150mm travel to get to the other side of the forest but nobody can aspire to own such a thing , nobody can purchase an old kona stinky and use 3 or 4 year old parts . it would result in a bike weighing over 25lbs . it just wont do

at least evans are offering free delivery

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sco ... e-ec016241

and if you want a larger picture to try and decide if you want the £7095 genius ltd or the £6850 spark ltd

http://scottusa.com/gb_en/product/2410/11764/genius_10

your out of luck nobody wants you to see the detail . maybe in 2010 they will offer a larger picture for £8045 :LOL:

Benandemu":3fvytwh2 said:
Is it too dear?
Marin Ultimate was £3700 as a standard bike in 1995 from Marin, and I bet you could spend another grand on making it lighter.
Let me calculate inflation since then...

£5250 at today's cost of inflation.

Which is why i didn't buy one back then. I remember a bare Merlin frame was around £2000 in very early 90's, which is why I spent £650 on a (cough) Dyna-Tech Ti frame instead. Inflation calculator says the merlin would be £3135 at today's money, and there seem to be enough of them lying around. Well, hanging around maybe.

Anthony":1hndazvl said:
FluffyChicken usually knows what he is talking about, but I was surprised by 4.5lbs as well. The Blizzard has never been a particularly light frame. It's a go out into the wilderness and get back bike, not a racer.

I'm also surprised by the seat tube getting thinner. As far as I know, Reynolds only make 853 seat tubes in 9-6-12, and that is pretty much a standard profile for high-end mtbs. The 853 Pro Team seat tube is a 6-4-8, but Pro Team is for road bikes and I'd be very surprised if RM uses a road tube on the Blizzard.

Thanks :), Though notice the claimed part, I just grabbed it from their blurb ;-). It's far too modern for my knowledge of frames and this 853 you talk of ,lol

perry":f1vqo6s6 said:
game over fellas :(

if companies expect people to lay down 7Gees on a bike for " long distance mountain rides or just simply touring with your friends " or as i like to say JUST GOING FOR A RIDE nobody will buying mountain bikes anymore :( now its clear you have to have 150mm travel to get to the other side of the forest but nobody can aspire to own such a thing , nobody can purchase an old kona stinky and use 3 or 4 year old parts . it would result in a bike weighing over 25lbs . it just wont do

at least evans are offering free delivery

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sco ... e-ec016241

and if you want a larger picture to try and decide if you want the £7095 genius ltd or the £6850 spark ltd

http://scottusa.com/gb_en/product/2410/11764/genius_10

your out of luck nobody wants you to see the detail . maybe in 2010 they will offer a larger picture for £8045 :LOL:

You know, I just about bought the lowest-end model in that range, last year's model (ie. a 2008 Scott Genius 40) for $1999 CDN, or about $1600 US. It wasn't too heavy at 29-ish lbs.

Of course things get expensive when you add carbon everywhere. There's usually an alloy version of the same thing that's 80% of the bike, weighs 4 lbs more and costs 30-40% as much. This is where I tend to buy.

Granted, if you're in love with low weigh, 28-29 lbs would be heavy next to any rigid bike from 1995. To be honest, I no longer care - even my '99 Stumpjumper was built at 27-28 lbs when it was my one/only bike.

if i wasnt so lazy id work out the £/$ per gram between the ltd ( and at that much id be wanting to know the other owners by first name or be allowed to wander around the scott factory drinking all their coffee ) and the very lowest from that range

and to what extent is it limited ? . in a company as big as scott that could be 1000 units

1994 DBR Axis TR 16" True Temper TT Lite
4,21 lbs = 1.910 k.

DBRResuureio003.jpg

Back