Retro Peugeot Catalogue Pictures

blxm":3pbxpkpc said:
My lucky day. Tonight I collected from a freecycler a beautiful but rusty frame along with a complete not so beautiful bike.

Trying to id the frame with these Peugeot sites but although I am getting close, cant find an exact match. Looks like a 1987 Ventoux

http://cyclespeugeot.com/images/1987_PH501_Ventoux.jpg

but could be earlier.It says "Triathlon" on the top tube and has a handy thing for attaching your race number to at the front end of that. 501, White + chromalloy M forks

Can anyone interpret this serial number? Definitely a GB model.
P501 SWGB

Is that the number off the paper sticker or the number stamped into the frame. I'm reliably informed that the stamped number is not much help in identifying the bike, the paper sticker is supposedly the key. Unfortunateley my current and previous Peugeots were both missing the paper sticker so I can't shed any light on that theory.

Look here although it's not much help with your number. http://cyclespeugeot.com/SerialNumbers.html

I had a double butted 501 tubed Electra, which I would guess was probably about 1990-91. It was Shimano equipped, mostly Exage 500/400, 14 speed. I sold it because it was too big and got an earlier and smaller Aneto in 501. This appears similar to a PH501 Ventoux except for the painted, rather than chrome, fork. The only reference to the name Aneto I can find is attached to higher spec 531 tubed bikes. There is nothing I can see in any old catalogues or references that refers specifically to my bike. Interestingly I know it came from the LBS brand new, so I would think it was a GB model, but the stickers on it are in French including the 501 stickers. My Electra was labelled in English.

I suspect that they used to bang all sorts names on basically the same bikes and it's the model number that is significant. Unfortunately I don't have the model number. :(

BTW why do I never get anything that good from Freecycle? Lucky git!

Back