Retro on a budget. is it possible?

Guess Ive had early 90s, late 90s but never mid 90s. This is the sort of style I really want. I wouldn't mind converting a rigid to suspension forks but always wary of the geometry side of things.

This is the sort of thing I'd be looking for. I have no idea on Scott bikes though.

Attachments

• boulder.JPG
    boulder.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 486
Re: Re:

MarinMartin":3itrnogn said:
...a rigid may be an option as gives more possibilities...

Always leaves room for an upgrade later when budget allows.

See that, 02gf74, happy now? (I really should lay off the caffeine for a while, causes no end of trouble)

Extreme budget wise, I'm knocking together a disc only Claud Butler for a neigbours' son which should come in at around £40 including some fairly decent Manitou forks.

Lots if mid 90's stuff was available with both suspension or rigid fork options

Many earlier than you might think frames 'suspension corrected'

Re:

I do like rigid frames. My old Giant Stonebreaker was one bike I wish I'd never got rid of. And that cost me £5 ;)

Sorry guys didn't mean to cause trouble. just trying to get an idea of what to expect and if anything I like will actually come within budget. I seem to have a habit of finding old rigids for bargain prices (£20+)

Think best bet is when Im ready to post a wanted ad and see what comes up. Never know what might get offered. I mean I got given a 1996 GT arrowhead which I rebuilt. Sold it last year when I lost my job :(

no trouble at all.

*But, I should really get out and ride more

internet-tough-guy-300x227.jpg

Watch ebay/Bumblebee etc like a hawk and be prepared to wait, you'll get whatever's available
but good way to get donors, frames can be quite cheap. I've never spent serious money on a
Retrobike and got quite a nice collection by taking a punt whenever a bargain shows up.

You'll occasionally find something advertised as 'Old MTB' as the owner doesn't know how
good it is. I've picked up decent nick Saracens for £10-25, Dawes/Carrera for £3-£10 (high end ones make great parts bikes) and A LOT of GTs never spent more than £50 on one !

certainly seems to be a lot more available on Gumtree (narrow search £ 77 - 100); this is final price that could be further dropped by negotiation.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 441
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Re:

WWC":993cxdkh said:

shame that's 400 miles away. that would be perfect.

cheers guys. at least I know what sort of thing to expect. In all honesty Ive had loads of retros but they've been of the £20 or less wreck variety so i'm not clued up on the slightly better sub £100 territory.

I'm cutting down to 4 bikes (my GT, my marin, one modern for competition and the retro) so now I want something multipurpose that I can stick fast rolling tyres on and use both as a commuter and for a bit of offroad fun (hence saying about suspension as not so sure about rigid with a damaged back but it's still an option)

guess it's just a case of pot luck what becomes available near me.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back