Retro fit Disc break adapters

andy.w

Dirt Disciple
Don't shout

But i'd like to add disc breaks to a '98 Fisher frame. Front not a problem but is there anything i can buy to retro fit a disc to the rear wheel.

More importantly is it a good idea, will the frame be strong enough etc.

The bike will be mainly used for winter training and commuting.

Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Andy

The retro solution would be to find Retro Hope disk brakes - they do come up reasonably often, but the bidding can go high

Andy B":35hgqwl2 said:
As far as I know you will need a new rear hub, you can get frame adaptors from A2Z components, but not hub adaptors.

Those adaptors are fairly fussy about what frames they will fit - they need a large flat dropout face, which rules out fitting them on any steel frame (presumably yours is aluminium though ?).

On the other hand, it's a fairly simple job to retrofit a caliper mount to a steel frame if you can braze (or know someone who can).

Attachments

• Disc-Mount.jpg
    Disc-Mount.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,477
The Ken":l1ztpvjy said:
The retro solution would be to find Retro Hope disk brakes - they do come up reasonably often, but the bidding can go high
C2's are nice but if you see it going over £40 each dont get involved
My last disc add on was for a 99 clockwork ,using the hope-ti glide set up,hope have a caliper that partly mounts on the hub drop out and the seat stay,my attachment for the stay was a jubilee clip,it ran for about 9 years till i sold it to some guy in France,no problems ,been at 35mph then slammed on both f+b,again no probs
I dont think they had discs in mind for the 99 clocky
Just found a pic of it-

Attachments

• sony_md_029_medium_200.jpg
    sony_md_029_medium_200.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,460
thta's really nice dynati, I'm still looking for a rear cable version, probably a mark 2 design (cnc'd version of the mark1 ) I have one of each for the front and a Mark 1 hub and disc.
I'm very happy with the stopping power, bettetr than my u-brake, but then I've never really had anything else to compare it to.

this is my mk1
main.php

img_0070_180.jpg

and this is what my mark 2 caliper looks like...
p8020779mediumvi1.jpg

God that looks f**kin amazing on that bike ,even though its discs they do look very retro
Very retro indeed
The mark 2 however looks poo [although] it is old and tatty
But the mark 1 ,now thats cool :cool: ,and the rotor is perfect

cheers guys

Will buy the a 2 z and see what its like.

I have wheels etc. was planning on a rigid carbon fork, post stem and bars. Not to bothered about the whole retro look but will see how it turns out.

The frame is aluminium so braze ons are out.

Thanks

Andy

The Magura rim brakes are very powerful, but I found that on a BIG downhill they would get hot and fade badly, plus you don't get the wet weather stopping that a disc gives you and if your rim gets slightly out of true the rim brake becomes terribly lumpy!

Back