Retro 'Compacts': A Tale of Obsession

Old Ned":1kgozaza said:
Lets face it, a 'compact' chainset is only an MTB one with the granny ring removed. Shimano and Campag share 110BCD. I used an XT crankset on a road bike for years with 50/34 before 'compacts' became available.

I've been running a Middleburn 94mm BCD triple minus the granny as a 46/36 double for cyclo-cross since 2002. On the subject of which, and referring back to sourcing Campag Triomphe 116BCD rings, I've found Gebhardt rings to be hard-wearing - even off-road - and good value for money compared to TA/Stronglight, and 116BCD ones are available.

David

a bit of devils advocate

modern campag chainsets are hardly the eye burning misery of shimano

campagnolo-athena-power-torque-chainset.jpg

cce":15j5e0e6 said:
a bit of devils advocate

Not keen on the beefy axle/Hirth coupler assembly compared to the old square-taper BB setup but otherwise, especially in all silver, the Campag chainsets don't look bad at all. Some of the high-end Shimano stuff looks a little cheap & nasty as though moulded plastic had been used for some bits. Urgh.

David

cce":2bslbs72 said:
a bit of devils advocate

I absolutely agree.

Perhaps this is the moment to re-introduce this

viewtopic.php?t=176340

Thank goodness I was around at that moment to benefit from Tel's skill and efforts. He polished both modern compact cranks and original 135 BCD versions: I have one of his CDA engraved and polished crank sets and they are beautiful!

HW

Back