Retro Coast to Coast – completed

Crayons

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well, after months of talking about it, I finally got back from my Devon Coast to Coast ride.

Below is a brief account of the trip, and some of the pics we took.

FRIDAY:
Caught train to Plymouth. Left Hoe at lunchtime and headed for Saltram House and onwards to the Plym Valley railway (been surfaced since I last rode it). Late lunch at the Skylark in Clearbrook whilst we waited out the first of many heavy rain showers, then on to Meavy and eventually Burrator Reservoir where we detoured off and followed an old disused railway into the moor and around to Princetown – site of our first night stop. More Beer and cheer follow into the wee hours.

SATURDAY:
Wake to thick fog and heavy drizzle – a shame as my mate was looking forward to the ride out from Princetown (he wanted to see the prison). We followed the Merivale road briefly before turning off and once again hitting the moorland tracks towards Mary Tavy then onwards towards Lydford. Mid morning and we're on the Granite Way headed for Okehampton (pub stop) then on towards Meeth and the start of the Tarka Trail (at which point the rains started again :? ). We headed towards Torrington for our second nights camping – note to self, tiny one-man tent may be ultralight but doesn't allow room for panniers, rucksack and human.

SUNDAY:
We wake to glorious sunshine – then promptly get p*ssed on when we take the tents down. Never mind, it's an early start and we'll soon be in Bideford for breakfast (in another pub – there's a theme here isn't there). Refuelled and invigorated by the intermittent sun we forge on through Barnstaple and on to Braunton for coffee and cake and a call to the wife / taxi firm. We leave Braunton in a near-vertical direction (no-one mentioned hills in the tour brochure) and spend the next hour going upwards (I figured we'd pop out above the clouds, but alas it was just the top of the hills on the north coast). We finally reach the last bit of off-road as we swoop down into Ilfracombe – taking every opportunity to let gravity take the strain – before ending at the seafront under hot sunny rays. What a way to end a trip…

…or should I say finish the first half. Next stage is a return journey following the route laid down by Tim Woodcock – who just happens to be another colleague I work with. Planned for September, stage 2 is likely to be a far tougher proposition but I'm eager to keep that one as a retro ride too.

As for the bike. All I can say is my '92 Avalanche performed faultlessly throughout, even though the poor old girl was burdened with panniers and a rack (oh, the crime). The constant rains and gritty water have taken a few mm off the brake blocks, but what a bike.

I'd recommend this ride to anyone – there may not be too much serious off-roading, but the scenery was superb, at times mind-blowing, and the route is easy and relaxing with much of it far from the madding motorists.

Attachments

• c2c_10_end.jpg
    c2c_10_end.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,316
  • c2c_5_camping.jpg
    c2c_5_camping.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,316
  • c2c_4_dartmoor.jpg
    c2c_4_dartmoor.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,316
  • c2c_1_plymouth.jpg
    c2c_1_plymouth.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,316
Excellent work that man. I used to love slapping the paniers on my trusty Saracen and heading off on an epic. I'm really envious- just had a holiday in the South Hams part of Devon and really fallen for the place, its beautiful and I'm keeping an eye on house prices down there already.

Any more pics?

Well done - love the pics, not sure about that tent though - I'd have the OH lurking strategically with the camper!

Look forward to pics of stage 2!

It's easy to fall in love with Devon – a county of real contrasts. I live in Somerset now, have done for a great many years, but I think I'll always consider Devon (and particularly Plymouth and Dartmoor) to be my home.

Here's a few more pics

Attachments

• c2c_3_princetown.jpg
    c2c_3_princetown.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,251
  • IMG_0727.jpg
    IMG_0727.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,251
  • IMG_0310.jpg
    IMG_0310.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,251
  • c2c_7_Tarka.jpg
    c2c_7_Tarka.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,251
Wow - you did really well. Well done GT too!

Did you plot your course on a map and have certain checkpoints to get to? Interesting to see your route as I'd love to have a bash at this late summer with a few mates.

Probably 'cause I didn't have much sleep :D

Does anyone else suffer the same post beer night problem of needing to relieve themselves in the middle of the night whilst it's raining? Half past flippin' 3 in the morning I ask you.

Jez, yep it was all plotted on my SatMap. We took a few detours enroute, but the final route track is all logged on the unit – well it is from Clearbrook where I turned it on. Once I work out how to download it I'll email it over (apparently I need one of those PC things as SatMap software doesn't work on the Mac). Essentially it follows Sustrans route 27 with an offroad detour to Princetown for the Plume of Feathers overnight stop – a great pub with a campsite in the beer garden. They even locked the bikes up in their storage shed for us and they serve a full english breakfast in the morning to boot.

With a bit more adaptation I'm sure you could include a bit more off-road but my mate's not done much in the past and as we were loaded up it seemed a better idea to stick to the simple tracks. There's enough variation to keep it interesting though.

Back