Retro bike insurance

This. Mine paid out 5k after photos sent and independent valuation for two retrobikes. Hand built fillet brazed frame plus Whyte and proper builds. Based on new for old.
Who is best to do the valuation? (LBS) and what does a valuation sheet look like !! …do they have to see the real bike in advance or do it from photos and the likes ?

Who is best to do the valuation? (LBS) and what does a valuation sheet look like !! …do they have to see the real bike in advance or do it from photos and the likes ?
Great question! Hopefully none of us ever need this but it would be great to know where to go to get a fair and realistic valuation from an expert who understands the rarity factor.

I think they were overwhelmed as I listed every part of each bike down to tyres. They apparently had their own valuer. And before you ask, can’t remember which company as I change every year to get best deal on renewal.

Simply as named items with agreed values on house insurance. Pick your bike value and pay the premium. Same as modern stuff.
This is what I've done. Any bike on my contents policy worth over £350 has to be named

My latest policy is Max value is £5k per bike and 10k total which are named. Any bike under £1500 is covered without being named but counts towards £10k max in a claim. Covered away from home and accidental damage. No receipts need to be provided as you simply state the value and pay the premium same as other named items such as watches , jewellery etc.

@d8mok sorry to bump an old thread, but looking at home insurance options and what to do with bikes. Always a nightmare! :eek: Can you remember what insurance you were with back in 2022? Many thanks! 🙏

Back