Restoring the finish of a saddle with black paint

bikey :)

Old School Hero
Anybody ever tried painting their saddle? I was using a tin of Humbrol black enamel some time ago, looked over at the tired and slightly scuffed finish on my leather flite saddle when I wondered if it could be made smarter with a bit of a touch up with the paint. I took a rag, dipped it in the pot of paint, then worked it into the leather. The saddle came up a treat, scuffed areas and cat's claw marks pretty well disguised. What a difference! I've used it plenty since then and it seems to be holding up well. I've heard that using boot polish has the disadvantage of staining clothing so I thought I'd put this method out there for those who may be interested.

Re:

It's not unknown for people to use leather paint when reconditioning leather sofas and leather car interiors. The benefit of leather paints over something like enamel paint is that the leather paint has a flexibility built in, reducing the need for continual application due to cracking that using some normal paints often have.

I did similar but with black leather dye. Came up lovely. Never tried humbrol though.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

this_thread_is_useless_without_pics_zps4d28c3ae-gif.29329

:D

Back