Restoring blackness to metal parts

For aluminium components I’ve had varying success with “Birchwood-Casey Aluminium black” - needs good prep and depends on the alloy as it’s a chemical reaction not a coating. Can need several applications. It’s used by gunsmiths I think.
i imagine that might be good for the chainrings, thank you for the recommendation 👍

Any parts you want to fit again, try Cerakote. Powder is often too thick for parts like brake levers, stems, seatposts etc.

Spray is just too easily scratched in heavy wear applications, even with a clear coat.

This type of cerakote is cold applied and you can mask items with tape.

Its very resistant to scratching and stick to pretty much any metal.

I know ive put these photos on here before some where, but here's a batch before and after.

If your uk based, try mark at High Caliber Coating in suffolk.. Hes a gunsmith, but very good with bike and motorcyle parts......say hi from me!.......and he will probably quote you double!

Attachments

• 20210607_101900.jpg
    20210607_101900.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210524_101601.jpg
    20210524_101601.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 47
Wow, those results are very impressive 😲
Cerakote added to the list and High Calibre coating added to my traders file. Thanks!!!

+1 on Cerakote. A friend of mine who does this mainly for guns did a batch of black parts for me. Turned out ace (cost me like 50$) and is very durable. Even Thomson have a Cerakote line for their seat-posts and stems as a factory finish. One thing to bear in mind: Cerakote can't really do a super gloss finish, it's more like a satin finish. Also the color choices aren't that many with Cerakote, but classic black always works.

Its true that most cerakote is quite muted colours. But there are 30 odd other colours. I had neon pink done on some parts.

In the last year or so, cerakote has made some inroads into the gloss issue too. Its still not super shiny shiny, but its better than it was and the black is much " blacker" than it was.....kinda deeper black.

You can also fine polish or clear coat over cerakote to bring it up super shiny....and you still have the durability of the base.

The fork legs in the picture were then polished with a very fine cut liquid and came out very well.

Ah, so you did polish those afterwards. I'll ask my buddy if I can do the same... I do like a more polished look on black parts.

I've had some pretty good results on pedals and handlebars etc with this stuff, it layers on quite thinly so it's easy to use just enough to cover the silver bits showing through...
Hammerite-Direct-to-Rust-Metal-Paint-Smooth-Black-400ml.jpeg

Last edited:
Good product.Used it a lot over the years.But as you mention,goes on quite thinly.Being a topcoat and having a good percentage of lacquer in,takes a few coats to cover bare metal,especially on edges.
Don't know if you've tried the primer/basecoat/lacquer method?I switched over after listening to my painter mate a few years back.Personally find it much easier to cover damage,and a harder wearing coating.But can be more costly and a bit more time consuming.

hey, interesting topic and good suggestions so far!

Has someone ever had long-term success restoring old Shimano STIs?
Quite often in particular the brake levers are not black any longer, sometimes entire STI looks worn away.
STI abgwetzt 2.JPG STI abgwetzt.JPG

Still a bit unsure if metal or gun paint will last, especially in case of hand perspiration during use.

Latest posts

Back