Restoring blackness to metal parts

Tsundere

Fat Chance Fan
Feedback
View
In the midst of several projects right now and I have some components that were coated in black paint but are now showing varying amounts of bare metal. I was wondering if there's a tried and tested method of restoring these parts without having to strip what remains of the original coating. I have considered getting all the parts powder coated or stove coated which wouldn't actually cost that much, however if possible I'd really like to find a way of doing it myself for as little expense as possible.

Parts I have that are in need of sprucing up include brake levers, chainrings and pedals, any tips or advice you might be able to offer up would be greatly appreciated.
P7123428.JPG

Always a useful thread here -

If you want to keep the original coating the only option I can see is touching up the scratches.Can be tricky matching colour/finish.Worth a try first,you may be happy with the results.
Personally would strip parts and have them dipped/stripped (not blasted).
Then you can either spray yourself or have them powdercoated/anodized.
If you spray over the original finish,the scratches will show through.As mentioned,the Renovation Tips thread is very useful.👍

Always a useful thread here -

The pedal resto section doesn't really go into restoring the black except to show a can of black primer, would that work for all parts?

I normally just strip them down as far as possible or mask up, then primer and spray with black gloss on these normally looks better.

Cheers for all the replies, I'm going to try stripping down and repainting the pedals with black primer and a satin clearcoat to finish, if that works out I'll do the same with the other bits.

You'll need an etching primer,as mentioned,because you'll be painting bare metal. @Peachy knows his stuff alright,seems like he's just lacquered over the black primer in that thread.Lacquer is the hardest of the paints so always good for a tougher finish,topcoat is slightly softer due to the colour additives.
All the work is in the prep,a chemical dip is pretty cheap and saves a lot of work.Think I paid a fiver for cranks,2 bottle cages and a stem.
Otherwise just just smooth over the scratches with 600grit wet n dry n give it all a thorough degreasing.Personally have found satin finish a good match for me.If it's not quite shiny enough you can buff it up with car polish or similar.

These pedals are pretty crappy, but they are the ones that shipped with the bike I'm currently restoring, they don't seem to be dismantlable, so I'll have to mask off and apply the primer to them fully assembled.
First one is cleaning up pretty well. P7123433.JPG
they are m350 Exage Trail pedals, if anyone knows if it's possible to ttake them apart, both the cage and internally, I'd like to remove the axle and regrease the bearings etc - I'd really appreciate any pointers

For very minor touch up at little expense on black parts then a sharpie marker is always my go to weapon. This only works for minor marks not a full resto. It’s not the best finish if there are already deep scratches but for the sort of marks usually found on black levers/shifters it does at least stop the eye being distracted by shiny scratches. I’d say good for nice/functional stuff rather than show stopper garage queen type finish.
For aluminium components I’ve had varying success with “Birchwood-Casey Aluminium black” - needs good prep and depends on the alloy as it’s a chemical reaction not a coating. Can need several applications. It’s used by gunsmiths I think.

Back