Rescuing a Pace RC200 F4 Frame

I was pointed to this thread as that was my old frame so I can fill you in on a bit of the history.
The original owner brought it to the Isle of Man (as a complete bike) and I bought if from him. I rode it for a few years, then decided to singlespeed it so I got a set of horizontal dropouts for it but they never got fitted as on a ride up one of our hills I noticed the B/B felt kinda 'spongey'. I stopped, spotted the crack but figured I was only 8 miles from home so I rode it home ..

I rang Pace the next day, at the time they said they "weren't in a position to do it but might be in 6 months time" so about 8 months later I tried again and this time I was told to get in touch with Spondon
I rang spondon who immediately said they didn't have a jig...
Thanks Pace...

So the bike sat there for a while slowly losing bits as they went onto other bikes until eventually just the frame was left, 2 house moves later..

The Longest Day Longest Ride guys (24hr mtb event) were looking for an event trophy - the "Spirit of the Event" - basically a bit of bike frame with a hip flask holder on it.

One of the organisers came down, I sawed the section of frame out, they took it and that was that. Unfortunately the kicker is that they didn't use the section of frame and the first I knew was when I saw the trophies at the event and the "Spirit" trophy didn't use the tube - they'd used a section from a different bike.

Soo - anyway - I was helping out marking an event, the guy that sold me the bike originally was at my house, saw the frame and (I thought) took it to make into a trophy for his event. What has happened since then is documented above.

It's great to see the recovery that has happened - I was pretty gutted when I found I'd chopped the frame for no reason when it wasn't used as a trophy but I feel much happier now I see the frame has been resurrected.

Very nice - but not as nice as my factory black Pace RC100 LOL :)

Cheers guys

RickTheUncivil":24vrl9o1 said:
This just popped up on a saved search on the old bay of e.
Getting shut so soon? What's changed?

Yeah, but there was no mention of the frame being snapped/cut and rewelded. It looks to be a great job, but leaving that piece of information out seems a little dishonest esp as in the description he mentions some marks from taking the grips off and states it's nothing but he's just trying to be honest.

Interesting story about the bike though and how it ended up having no seat tube but what a kick in the balls, it not being used in the end.

Just thought I would up date yes I have nearly sold the frame 3 times every time it comes to parting with the frame I just can't do it! So I am making progress and change to my original plan that I was going to do, sorting through a box of 80s/90s parts I found some drop outs for a pace well I found a few sets track, geared and disc. Don't no or remember where these came from but have enclosed photo ( any info on this or brake calabur would be good ) it has quite a large hole cut out why?
So it will be built up with a rear disc brake front v brake rear cassette and single 50t up front, just in the process of purchasing 2x carbon rims to be built up with hope hubs and I will put cross tyres on it as I commute via trails.
If anyone can shed some light on the disc mount that would be cool also re fixing after market brake and gear fixings for the frame.
Sorry I seem to keep changing direction or even keeping it but hey I will get their in the end
Papillon

Re:

Having trouble with photos let's hope this works disc brake mount on RC 200 F4
Any info would be good thanks
Papillon

Attachments

• 20160727_170407_resized_1-2.jpg
    20160727_170407_resized_1-2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 829
That looks fine, Max, sticks up a bit, but standard ISO 2000 spec.
Does it match the RH one OK? They might be from different manufacturers, given the different finish. Pop a wheel in and see.

I have some black anodised rivet-on cable stops and guides for the brake and gear stuff if needed.

Just the front brake that needs sorting. Looking pretty hard to find canti mounts to fit the 28.6mm fork legs, so maybe one of these instead?:

003.35293900_std.JPG

038.296192954_std.JPG

All the best,

Re:

Hi Dan took frame up to Vernon Barkers in Dromfield, he still does the odd bit but the frame builder put the frame in a stand got this little disc jig out lined it all up and said it was IS standard and fine, what are the front ones you show in the photo and what am I looking for?
As for fixings think I will be running hydrolic brakes so do you have some cable fixings for hose, think they have a plastic clip that goes on after to secure hose,
Looking at a company in Hong Kong that is called Light Bicyle they make some nice carbon wheel sets and rims, also looking at hope, sram and xtr brakes 11 speed rear cassette with a FSA or SRAM 50t single up front,
The brake and gear fixings should pop rivet on if I am right, are they flat back or a little curve?
Cheers Papillon

bozo":2p380d64 said:
RickTheUncivil":2p380d64 said:
This just popped up on a saved search on the old bay of e.
Getting shut so soon? What's changed?

Yeah, but there was no mention of the frame being snapped/cut and rewelded. It looks to be a great job, but leaving that piece of information out seems a little dishonest esp as in the description he mentions some marks from taking the grips off and states it's nothing but he's just trying to be honest.

Interesting story about the bike though and how it ended up having no seat tube but what a kick in the balls, it not being used in the end.
Hi Bozo, for the record once a person seemed intrested in purchasing the frame I made them full aware of the history, and also gave them the link to this site and build. As for the reasons well firstly Dan was fully aware of my change of plan, to get rid but just can't do it! Just thought I would clear the grey areas up.
Papillon

Back