Rescued from the bicycle junkyard

With some love this old fella could look gorgeous. I love the dynohub set up.

Neil":9xcepx6l said:
There was a couple of these in my family many years ago.

And one of these in blue (a kind of grey / blue colour) was my big bruv's first proper bike (this would probably be late 70s). Had wooden blocks nailed to the pedals 'cos it was a bit big for him.

I remember the front dynamo hub, that little wheel by the seat-tube / top-tube junction for the gear cable.

Thank you for sharing that, I like to hear things about people's history with bikes :)

keithglos":9xcepx6l said:
Before you ride it again Pleas put the handlebars down at least 2 inches.
Keith

Is that for the bike's wellbeing or just for appearances sake? I have looked and haven't seen any exposed safety lines :/

Spokesmann":9xcepx6l said:
With some love this old fella could look gorgeous. I love the dynohub set up.

Thanks :) That's just what I plan to do, I am going to clean her up into a respectable daily but keep as much original as possible :)

The sort of brilliant functional bike that is ideal for commuting - dynamo, mudguards. 90% of the British public would be better off buying one rather than some BSO pseudo-full sus garbage from Halfords.

jon w":knt970ld said:
Good man!

I am in no way jelous that you managed to bag that gorgeous looking bike!!!

Hehe thanks :)

hamster":knt970ld said:
The sort of brilliant functional bike that is ideal for commuting - dynamo, mudguards. 90% of the British public would be better off buying one rather than some BSO pseudo-full sus garbage from Halfords.

They really would be better off, a properly maintained classic is just as good as a new bike, and more visually appealing, it's a great feeling when you can tell people are looking at/admiring the bike, I know I'm a poser, but I love the head turns :)

The handlebar stem did not have safety lines, they appeared later mainly for the American market, where they have a tendency to run the handlebars far too high.
Not only higher stress on the stem, but the expander bolt is up on the thinner part of the fork column (steerer) and will bow it out.
Keith

keithglos":6ufaluz4 said:
The handlebar stem did not have safety lines, they appeared later mainly for the American market, where they have a tendency to run the handlebars far too high.
Not only higher stress on the stem, but the expander bolt is up on the thinner part of the fork column (steerer) and will bow it out.
Keith

Thank you for that advice, I shall go and adjust it now :)

Back