Another Orange P7 Restoration - but this time its mine!

Laserblueexige

Dirt Disciple
One of a number of good things to come out of the lock-down, for me personally, was to start a long over-due project to restore my much loved and recently very beleaguered Orange P7. Something I have been mulling over for a number of years, with numerous periodic guest visits to this forum where I have sat in awe at some of the completed member’s restoration projects.

I had actually taken her down to the local bike shop, at the beginning of the lock-down on the pretext of having a quick service. I thought riding her was the best way to spend my daily, hourly exercise entitlement offered to us by our politicians. The immediacy of the bike shop’s servicing outweighed getting-my-hands-dirty as I knew if I did it myself, it wouldn’t stop until a complete restoration had been achieved.

What flipped me into ‘full restoration mode’ was the reaction I had after releasing the bike from the confines of my garden shed; the whole servicing crew at the bike shop came front-of-house to look her over, two pedestrians stopped and even a car driver pulled over to admire what they knew to be an iconic MTB. To be honest, I was surprised by the interest and equally embarrassed that I had allowed her to get into such a state, so the restoration project went from red to green in a heartbeat and the work started.

With an August 1994 frame build, I bought her from 2XS in West Wittering. I had been married for three years, with a second child on the way, huge mortgage (I thought it was) and recently, at the time, sole family bread winner. Regardless of my predicament, I was still determined to buy into the Orange P7 line up, albeit on the first rung of the ladder, as the LX Group set variant was all I could afford. To be honest, NOT afford would be a more accurate description. To this day, I don’t how I persuaded my other half to allow me to make such an extravagant purchase.

Over the next 15 years the P7 was worked hard and saw a lot of this countries great riding locations. New shinny bits were inevitably purchased; Girvin Vector forks which were later updated with ODS (all my mates in the early years were riding Proflex’s and I had always admired the quirkiness of its design); Proflex Stem (recently reminded by this forum it was the same as the Orange in its day), XT Quick Fire Shifters, a set of the first V brakes to be shipped to the UK (purchased at the show at Olympia which came in with XT markings), Middleburn Cranks, Mavic Rims (M231 on the Front and 217 for the rear), Yeti grips and Orange cow horns. As is always the way, the imaginary shopping list went on and on but the funds unfortunately never kept pace.

If I had the money back then the XT Variant would have been my sweet spot, I love shiny, a Hope BB and Pace RC36 forks (loved their combination of CF and shiny). Orange and Pace were always the ‘Morecombe and Wise’ combination in my view, but the forks were just so damn expensive.

Thankfully I am a few clicks above being brassic today, so a set of ‘as new’ RC36’s have been sourced (along with a 1” steerer and reducer crown shim) and I have on my radar a M737 cassette, chainrings and front and rear derailleurs. Still need to track down the front and rear hubs (FH & HB M737’s I believe), a period Hope BB in good working order and a SO M730 if I can find one. The headset is perplexing me at the moment as I believe the part number is HP-742 but all I can find is a threaded variant and I need a 1” threadless one. Perhaps I have got the wrong part number…..Finally a full set of decals supplied by Gil for the frame, forks, handlebars and rims which look absolutely stunning. (I couldn’t work out where the F7 one went until I realised, they were applied to the rigid front forks which, along with the original stem, have long since been lost in the mists of time.

As for the frame itself, I don’t have the patience nor stoicism that other forum members have in restoring the frame to its forma glory by hand, so I have decided to have the nickel re-plated at Ashford Chroming Services in Kent. Realistically, I think the rust spots around the top section of the bottom backet are a bit too-far-gone to guarantee a perfect finish if I were to do it myself, but I must confess I did gasp at the price. The frame has now been fully stripped and cleaned and readied for shipment to Kent, just waiting for a suitably sized shipping carton to arrive. I will decide on whether a lacquer coating / protective film is required when the frame returns from ACS. What I have seen of raw Nickel plating is it can be quite bright and that faint orange hue is very important to me.

I am very much an amateur in the world of MTB restoration so I would welcome any of your thoughts or feedback. For a standpoint of historical record, I have attached some photos

Attachments

• 20200718_101815.jpg
    20200718_101815.jpg
    624.5 KB · Views: 1,157
  • 20200718_101045.jpg
    20200718_101045.jpg
    835.2 KB · Views: 1,157
  • 20200718_101016.jpg
    20200718_101016.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,158
Shimano never made aheadsets, so if it came with an ahead Shimano it was a conversion using an M:part top adaptor.

Nice story, looks almost identical to mine!

Re:

Thanks Hamster for that...I seem to recall they changed the original headset when I got the Girvin Vector Forks shortly after I purchased her.

Looking more closely at the headset that has now come off the bike, which is looking in a pretty sorry state, it is a combination of manufactures. The top element is Dia Comp and the bottom is Tange. Well I think these might have to be binned so I will be looking for a replacement 1" thread-less, ideally in silver and that are known to fit well with the Orange P7 (I believe perfect fitment can be a bit temperamental) and ideally something of the same vintage.

As I am not an expert here so has anyone any suggestions.... Miche perhaps as I cant stretch to Chris King....

Campagnolo Record road headset would be my choice: beautifully smooth bearings, sensible price for a top-drawer headset. Still available new.

With the frame now having landed safely at Ashford Chroming to be re nickel plated, the work has started on restoring each individual component along with tracking down period components which I have decided to upgrade to. So the Pace RC36's and the M737 group set (hubs, cassette, chain rings, cranks and derailleurs) have been purchased and have now arrived.

Decided to start with the seatpost, wet and dry 220 though to 1200 grit with a final polish with Mothers. (Too keep Pechy happy I am going to try Maas polish as I like the sound of the wax protection it offers). Still not quite at a standard that I am willing to share a photo but moving in the right direction. To give myself some variation I also started on the Middleburn cranks and the spider. I was feeling a little more happy with the whole sanding process and was now more confident, knowing that if all went tits up I still had the M737 cranks to fall back on but I am really very happy with the results. The only issue I had was removing the spider grub screws from the drive side crank. I tried everything including boiling water and managed to get two out but the third was not going to budge. They haven't been undone in 25 years and by the looks of things had been liberally soaked in loctite when they were originally assembled..... so decided to restore them with the spider on. Both the cranks have been done...very shinny.

I then decided to strip the pedals M650's which I won't look to upgrade, as a token gesture to the group set that the bike was originally supplied with. rjsdavis has written up a great post on the servicing of these pedals (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=336402&hilit=servicing+dx+pedals) which I am half way through. The rubber seals at the crank end on one had completely disappeared and the other had only a very small ring of rubber left. I believe I have manged to source replacement seals but I will have to wait and see. The alloy bodies where pretty scared to be fair but actually have come up very well following the sanding and polishing routine which I am now becoming very a custom to. I have decided to respray the cages and today will be sent off to be sandplasted in prep for the re spray. (any advice on what sort of paint to use would be gratefully accepted). I even have a cunning plan to re-inlay the white Shimano Deore Dx logo using white nail vanish which I have seen used on logos embossed in gun metal, to great effect. I will keep you posted.

Whilst that is all happening I will revisit the seatpost....I have discovered that putting something down and coming back to it later generally delivers the desired results.....

Attachments

• 20200803_075510.jpg
    20200803_075510.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 990
Whilst the frame is away being sorted, the mice are busily cleaning the other bits.....

Attachments

• 20200814_180300.jpg
    20200814_180300.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 836
Waiting to see the results here!
The seatpost is a conundrum - I toyed with replacing mine, most carbon posts turned out heavier than the steel Orange one! As a result I kept the Orange post.

Timing wise it might be an early Xmas present....

I will keep with the original seat post as it has come up rather nicely, although not shown in the photo, and I never had a problem with it slipping. The only bits which wont be original or period will be the bar end stoppers, cables, brake pads, chain and the headset. I would have dearly loved a new Campagnolo Record road threadless headset but every where I look they are out of stock so for better or worse I have gone ahead and bought a Ritchey Logic....

The last thing to get my head around is what modern day chain to buy which will be compatible with the M737 running gear. Perhaps someone on the forum might be able to point me in the right direction.

SRAM PC850 or higher. The PC830 doesn't have hardened pins so has a far shorter life. I've recently started buying Taya chains as my LBS has swapped suppliers - very pleased with them so far. I don't like Shimano chains with the special joining pin; in the past the life wasn't great either, although they ran smoother and quieter than any other type.

Back