Rescued a dawes with weird gears , leather saddle Help?

Re:

If the rear mech has two cables, it might be a Huret Louison Bobet.
One cable is to shift the gears, the other to tighten the chain.

The derailleur was used by top level professionals in its early days (although it was behind Campagnolo's Gran Sport which was a more
advanced design).

Sounds like an interesting bike and worth researching and restoring.

(However, if you do decide to split the bike and want to sell the derailleur, please PM me. I have been looking for one of these for a project).

Johnny

Re:

It does look like Louison Bobet mech' - this is sometimes engraved on the cage.
The second cable adjusts the cage torsion spring.

Interesting bike. :)

Re:

Yep, a lot of rear mechs were made with some sort of brass in those days, maybe steel with brass plating then chrome over the top?

Re:

Interesting rear hub - do I spy a thread and lockring on the non-derailleur side for a singlespeed sprocket?

David

It does have a flip flop hub David.
Going to have to research its value, just had a look at the hubs they look nice quality items made in Normandy. Not sure what the plan is yet but I am aware of what similar mechs have sold for and they are very rare. Do I break it, sell complete, or restore. The wheels need new spokes and are out of true in either case. Nice little buy from the scrap man

Re:

Sadly, you'd probably get most money from breaking it and selling the parts separately. If you sell as a complete, it's likely the buyer might split it anyway.

If it was mine, and it fit me, I'd definitely restore it.

Johnny

To be honest I am not much of a road rider, considered turning into a single speed as the wheels need rebuilding, and finding some 27 inch rims would be hard. Not sure really what to do, old Raleigh kids bikes I know the value as I am splitting them a lot, this stuff haven't a clue. I know the bits are rare, and built using craftsmen and that puts a better value on them. Any rough ideas?

Back