required steerer size for kona frames

albash82":1lsj8aw7 said:
Anthony":1lsj8aw7 said:
The 39cm a-c length of the fork is not what the frame was designed for however - from 94 onwards, they were designed for 41cm P2s.
"Bloody 'ell", I was afraid of that after reading this thread & was going to pm you when i got in tonight.
As I said, I bought these off the "lovely" konamad, who told me they were '94's off his kilauea. You live & learn eh?
Suppose i'll have to search for a swapper then maybe, anyone here got any suspension corrected, 410mm a-c, threaded p2's with 163mm steerer?
I'll try a swaps thread in the FS forum also....
It's not the end of the world to run 39cm forks on a frame designed for 41cm. It just means the front end is going to be 2cm lower than it should be and the handling is going to be sharper and less steady. Some people prefer that.

If anything, the one you've got is rarer, although I think the value is basically the same. All the P2s from 94 onwards were 41cm, so it would be very easy to find one to fit. As far as I'm aware, the 94 and 95 P2s were identical, with the orange flare alongside the decal (see below)

Attachments

• 1994 Lava Dome size 18.jpg
    1994 Lava Dome size 18.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 396
  • 1993 P2 style.jpg
    1993 P2 style.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 396
yeah, i accept that it wouldn't be the end of the world, but this is a long-term project & i want it to be pretty much perfect. it'll also be at the back of my mind that they're not the right ones, even if i don't notice that much...

thanks for the help matey.

Back