required steerer size for kona frames

sorry for the delay :oops: I've got these three that will fit their all in very good condition, the bronze ones have a few very small chips the other two are almost mint ;)

The bronze pair and the grey pair are triple butted the black ones are plain gauge at a guess :?: a fair bit heavier whatever they are ;)

p2forks.jpg

Thanks for the photo. What sort of prices were you looking for? I'd be interested in both the Tripple Butted. Is the stem to go with the bronze fork?

Jones":zes9yudp said:
sorry for the delay :oops: I've got these three that will fit their all in very good condition, the bronze ones have a few very small chips the other two are almost mint ;)

The bronze pair and the grey pair are triple butted the black ones are plain gauge at a guess :?: a fair bit heavier whatever they are ;)

p2forks.jpg

Well I took the grey pair in the middle and just got them home tonight. Sadly they are the same as the other grey pair I have, and they don't fit either. :(

This is doing my head in.

just to confirm. Both pairs of P2s that I now have are 14cm usable steerer tube. Measured from bottom of crown race to top of thread.

Weird :? I've had these fitted to an 18" 94 Kilauea with Impact headset so I know they fit a 94, 18" frame :?

Quite happy to take them back for what you paid ;)

What headset you are running? different headsets come in various sizes in height but with Kona Impact, it should fit like a glove.

I think Guy may well be right and it is a headset issue. I note that you initially said that you had a 13.5cm steerer on the original fork and it was c1cm too short. My threaded P2 is 14.2cm and fits an 11cm head tube perfectly, so I deduced from what you said that a standard 14.2 size 18 P2 would do you nicely enough.

But now you seem to be saying that both your original fork and the one you've bought from Steve are the same length - both 14cm? And 14cm is 1cm too short? If that's the case, then Guy is right, and you must have a high-stack headset which is the root of your problem.

So you either need a different headset, or alternatively a P2 off a size 19 - that will have a steerer 2cm longer, which you should be able to cut down by 1cm to fit.

Thanks for the info guys.
I measured the first forks steerer whilst still in the frame hence the 5mm discrepancy.

I'm using a Kona Control Centre headset which I got from ringlemike before he went sour.

I'll take some photos in a bit to try and illustrate the problem. Maybe I'm fitting the headset incorrectly?

Any ideas on what my problem may be? Control Centre got a bigger stack than an Impact? Incorrectly fitted? Longer steerer needed?

This headset seem to have more height than the standard Kona Impact type, the cups looked big, maybe this one is the newer version of the Kona Impact for the mid '90's Kona's?

It can be sorted, maybe have a look around for another 1 1/8" threaded headset, try aim for low rise height type to catch the threads of the steerer tube forks, you might have to look for another make, '8lezard' is using Shimano LX headset on his Kona using P2 and Velocity stem.

Good luck, I think a low rise headset will fix the problem.

Back