required steerer size for kona frames

Thing is, I've realy fallen for the Control Centre now. Guess I'll just have to bring my P2 collection up to 3 :LOL:

Yes those look like standard 142mm steerers for a size 18 if you allow for the crown race, but you need a longer one for that headset.

Not a problem, you should be able to find a P2 off a size 19 to cut down -and all triple-butted P2s are worth about the same, so if you buy another and sell the two you've got, you'll end up about quits I'd have thought.

Apologies for hijacking the thread but i'm just getting up to speed with some of this stuff. I'm doing up a '92 Cinder Cone which would have had a threaded steerer/headset assembly. I presume I can do a straighforward swap to a-headset design? ie head tube inner dimension will suit both?

cheers

(I did warn you, the first of several daft Q's :oops: )

Well to draw this to a close I have the following to report.

explosif_fan sent me a Velocity stem and included an impact headset in the price. After holding it up alongside the Caontrol Centre it seemed slightly shorter in stach height than the Control Centre so I hastilly removed the CC and fitted the Impact. It didn't fit at first, I had a bearing race in upside down. But eventually I tightened it up and it came to a firm stop at the end of the thread. I tightened the allenkey bolt and the whole unit is perfectly fitted. Shame it's not gold like the CC, but I want to ride the bike so form firmly loses out to function. Now I have a Cindercone singlespeed and it's ace :D

Surfr":3ot3e1vy said:

explosif_fan sent me a Velocity stem and included an impact headset in the price. After holding it up alongside the Caontrol Centre it seemed slightly shorter in stach height than the Control Centre so I hastilly removed the CC and fitted the Impact. It didn't fit at first, I had a bearing race in upside down. But eventually I tightened it up and it came to a firm stop at the end of the thread. I tightened the allenkey bolt and the whole unit is perfectly fitted. Shame it's not gold like the CC, but I want to ride the bike so form firmly loses out to function. Now I have a Cindercone singlespeed and it's ace :D

That what I thought after seeing the pics of the Control Centre headset about being higher that the Impact headset, glad it's all sorted out now, post some pics of your single speed soon. :)

bugger. i hope this doesnt mean i'm gonna have probs. mines a '94 lava dome & headtube is 130mm. I bought the below forks off konamad (ringlemike or whoever) and the steerer is 163mm, axle-crown seems to be 39cm (measured from bottom of steerer where the bottom race will sit). i have a control center(re) headset to go on it too but i've not tried to fit any of it yet as the forks need a respray plus the fact i've not got any wheels yet!
does anyone know??? Guess i should whip the old cups out & try my luck eh?

Attachments

• DSC00944.JPG
    DSC00944.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,311
albash82":3usz4j6o said:
bugger. i hope this doesnt mean i'm gonna have probs. mines a '94 lava dome & headtube is 130mm. I bought the below forks off konamad (ringlemike or whoever) and the steerer is 163mm, axle-crown seems to be 39cm (measured from bottom of steerer where the bottom race will sit). i have a control center(re) headset to go on it too but i've not tried to fit any of it yet as the forks need a respray plus the fact i've not got any wheels yet!
does anyone know??? Guess i should whip the old cups out & try my luck eh?
The steerer is the correct length for the head tube - they were cut 32mm longer, at least they were for an Impact. I'd be a little surprised if the Control Centre required a different length, but maybe it did.

The 39cm a-c length of the fork is not what the frame was designed for however - from 94 onwards, they were designed for 41cm P2s.

Surfr":201sz2ec said:

Does this mean your Control Centre is up for grabs? ;)
pm me a price if it is!

Cheers
Dave.

Anthony":29x50thg said:
The 39cm a-c length of the fork is not what the frame was designed for however - from 94 onwards, they were designed for 41cm P2s.

"Bloody 'ell", I was afraid of that after reading this thread & was going to pm you when i got in tonight.

As I said, I bought these off the "lovely" konamad, who told me they were '94's off his kilauea. You live & learn eh?

Suppose i'll have to search for a swapper then maybe, anyone here got any suspension corrected, 410mm a-c, threaded p2's with 163mm steerer?

I'll try a swaps thread in the FS forum also....

Back